Not Scheduled Ovaries or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries or not Ovaries or not

Unread 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Ovaries or not

I was told I should keep my ovaries because I would only be 45 this year and have not began menopause. If I don't keep them it throws me into menopause.

Ovaries means I still have period like symptoms, just not the period. No ovaries means, mood swings, hot flashes. I was old the menopause symptoms could last from a few weeks to years.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Re: Ovaries or not

I am having my hysterectomy tomorrow morning, and I am planning on keeping my ovaries. I am 42 and I have at least 10 more years of good use out of them. For me, one of the main reasons I want to keep my ovaries is because of their sexual function.
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:12 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Monday and I asked him to keep my ovaries unless he saw something seriously wrong with them. I am 44. They looked great, so he left them.

I don't want to mess with HRT, and I feel that if there is nothing wrong with them, why take them out? I've read that the ovaries still have a valuable function even after menopause, so I wanted to hang on to mine.

Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2009, 02:46 AM

I am 46 and was advised by my consultant that they used to remove the ovaries of anyone 45 or older, but now they are realising that as December14 says the ovaries still produce hormones after menopause.

I asked to keep mine when I had my TAH, unless he saw something wrong with them when he was operating. After the op he told me I had a small cyst on one which was normal for my age (how many times have I heard that recently!) and he had removed it.

Also agree with December14 that I didn't want to mess with HRT either - have a friend who had everything removed and she says it can take a while for them to find you the right dosage of HRT.
Unread 12-18-2009, 08:48 AM

My surgeon sent me some articles to read to help me make the decision about whether to keep my ovaries. The most helpful and readable was one from The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists called "Elective and Risk Reducing Oophorectomy." I have it as a PDF but not sure how or if I could post it.

I'm 52 but my FSH is 15 so not yet in menopause. Making this decision (I kept mine) was good because it forced me to get a lot of family medical history.
Unread 12-18-2009, 10:40 AM

At 55, not yet in menopause!, I chose to have my ovaries removed. I seriously considered keeping them because of many issues discussed here. For me it was the right decision. I had pms that was causing weight gain (just the worst of many symptoms), I didn't realize how bad it actually was until after my hyster and it as gone.

It took time, a patient doc, a good compounding pharmacist and suggestions from this site to get my hormones balanced but it was worth it. I've lost lots of weight, have lots of energy and feel way better. I don't think I would have done as well with my ovaries. I plan to continue taking my hrt for many years to come.

Having your ovaries removed is a personal decision. What works for some may not be right for others. Ovaries keep working for the rest of your life not only producing estrogen but progesterone and testosterone too. Hrt seems to scare some women, goodness knows the media hype blew things out of proportion. For me, hrt has been a good thing.

Keeping your ovaries means you will go through menopause naturally. Hopefully the trauma of the surgery won't shut down your ovaries, it happens once in a while.

I just wanted to post as someone who is glad to have made the choice to have my healthy ovaries removed--its not for everyone but for me was the right choice.
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM

I didn't notice if your surgery is cancer related. I had cancer in the uterus, so taking ovaries, tubes and cervix were not an option. I am glad to have it all out so I don't have to worry about cancer getting to them. (by the way, I'm 47). I am only 6 weeks post-op, but have not noticed any real menopausal issues so far from having the ovaries removed. I get a little warm at times, but not wet sweating hot. I actually feel better than before my surgery. Much more energy.
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM

I was told that I should keep my at least one ovary. I am 41. I am glad I did. One was removed due to a cyst. I feel like I get a little moody or emotional around the time I should get my period. But it is nothing like before. I think for me it was the best choice. No periods and no menopause.
Unread 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM

I had a TVH on July 9, 2009 due to adenomyosis and fibroid tumors on my cervix. My mother died of ovarian cancer at age 62. After extensive genetic research, I found that I did not have the genetic link to ovarian or breast cancer. That delayed my surgery and I decided to keep my ovaries. I continue to feel myself ovulating and my breasts get sore each month as though I am having my period. I was also told that the ovaries continue to work for 30 years after menopause. The genetic research delayed my surgery but I feel that I made the best decision for me.
Unread 12-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Kept my ovaries I am 47 was told that by keeping them saves going into menopause. He said too that I will no longer get a period due to leaving them as the uterus and cervix have been removed.

My ovaries I say are in a state of shock if they dont wake up well guess I will have to do the HRT thing but if they wake up all the better..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register