Also new here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Also new here Also new here

Unread 02-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Also new here

I recently had my hysterectomy TAH set for March 22nd. I have had heavy periods since I was 9. Over the last couple of years they are gotten worse. To the point that it is running down my legs and on to the floor.
Now I have constant bleeding since November. Everyday it is anywhere from light to heavy.
I have large fibroids, which I guess is causing the problem.
The GYN sluffed it off and said live with it, fibroids always shrink
after menapause. (spelling)
The new GYN says this isn't good at all you have too many problems. So surgery is set.
I don't have any children. Two miscarriages. However at this age 47 I didn't want to start now anyway.
I guess I've rambled enough.

By the way what should I have on my shopping list for things that I am going to need. Before, during and after surgery?

Candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Also new here

Hi Candy!

Welcome To Hystersisters!! We're glad you're here!

things for the hospital:

I've copied and pasted from one of my earlier posts. Hope it helps!

THINGS I DID USE:
- TUMMY PILLOW!!
- backscratcher
- lip balm
- slippers
- my own night shirt/sleepwear
- oversize cotton 'unders'
- pads (I got the overnights, too, so I could protect my unders from the incision site drainage)
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- shampoo and conditioner
- comb/brush
- facial cleanser (I don't use soap on my face)
- Q-tips (to swab my ears after the shower)
- deoderant/antiperspirant (for after shower)
- lightweight cotton robe
- lotion
- ponytail holder (something to keep your hair from bugging you)
- I didn't use one, but others have suggested PRE-PAID PHONE CARD or your own phone card

things I did not use:
- mirror (I did not care what I looked like!)
- socks
- book to read (never felt like reading -- I was asleep every 20 minutes or so anyway)
- game to play (didn't feel like playing - TV kept me occupied between snoozes)
- change of clothes (I wore the same clothes leaving the castle as I wore when I checked in -- I just did not worry about the fashion police at that point)

...and I can't think of anything I should have brought but didn't...

Things for home:

- stock up on your favorite easy-to-prepare foods
- advance freezeable meals prepared
- check with your DR about pain relievers, gas relievers, constipation relievers to have on hand
- things to occupy your time - books, games, puzzles, etc.

Keep reading! There are lots and lots of ideas nestled in the pages of this site!

HUGS! Please keep us posted as you journey through the Land of Hyster!
Unread 02-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Also new here

Welcome!! Candy

I think toonces got it covered with the pull down list, just read
the posts and dont ever think your rambling we are here to
help each other, so any questions just post away and you will
find how wonderful and helpful the sisters are...they have helped
me so much through my recover.

Try and pop into chat if you get the chance!!

Take care
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Also new here

Welcome! I had my TAH/BSO for giant fibroids, and I can tell you that you will feel SOOOOO much better, you won't believe you put up with it for so long!

Toonces' list is wonderful...you might also want to check out our Pull Down Menus on the home page. (scroll down to the bottom of the page) There are lists there of helplful things, and lots of great information.

Something I took was a little spray bottle of room freshener...I splurged on some from Crabtree & Evelyn. I HATE the way hospitals smell and I'm very sensitive to odors. I spritzed my room with Lily of the Valley every couple of hours when I needed a lift...it was nice.

Make sure your slippers are non-skid and slip on...much easier than worrying about getting them on and then sliding across your room!!

You'll do great...keep reading and posting and remember there are NO silly questions!!!

Karen
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Also new here

Thanks for all your assistance.
But how can you want something and not want it at the same time. At least all of you know what I'm talking about.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register