Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming hysterectomy (7/11): Where should my husband sleep during my recovery? - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy (7/11): Where should my husband sleep during my recovery? Upcoming hysterectomy (7/11): Where should my husband sleep during my recovery?

Unread 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy (7/11): Where should my husband sleep during my recovery?

Personally I couldn't bear the thought of him not being there[/quote]

EXACTLY.....I CAN'T BARE THE THOUGHT OF MY HUBBY NOT BEING IN BED WITH ME. I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SLEEP. WE LOVE EACH OTHER TOO MUCH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy (7/11): Where should my husband sleep during my recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesToBeauty View Post
For those of you who have already had their hysterectomy, wondering if your husband/partner shared a bed with you during recovery?

I know my husband won't mind sleeping in the spare room, but I'm just wondering how most ladies felt sharing a bed afterward.

Thanks~
Same bed. Preferred having him close by. No problems. My recovery went very well though.
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM

We never spent a night apart. I was actually comforted by the fact that he was there beside me if I needed anything. Even just getting out of bed the first few days was a bit challenging. He was great but he doesn't snore or thrash about the bed so that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM

My husband slept in the same bed with me. I did take my pain meds every time it said I could for the first few days even if I wasn't miserable as a preventative for pain. Day 4 I was able to switch to 800 ibuprofen and was fine even with him turning over during the night. If you are a tummy sleeper, I recommend using pillows to hold you on your side and put one almost under your belly to keep it from "sagging". Good luck!
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy (7/11): Where should my husband sleep during my recovery?

Same queen bed, I had a folding step stool and a Bed Cane to help getting me in and out. Husband is disabled and while he was helpful, he could not do more than steady me on and off the stool.

I had an open abdominal after a DaVinci start, so I had incisions all over. I got an abdominal binder and used a pillow to elevate my knees. The binder made it much easier to move.

Husband was a Saint! And I would have missed his snoring.
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM

I had planned to sleep in our bed, as the planned procedure was laproscopic. What I ended up with though was a very invasive procedure, full abdominal incision, lots of endometriosis removed and some damage to other internal organs. After 4 days in the hospital, I actually went home to my mother's house to stay, leaving hubby, 3 kids and dog at my house. They came to visit every day, but I could barely move without assistance, and the pain was unbearable for awhile. I stayed there another full week, and then went home where I resumed sleeping in our bed with hubby. thank goodness for pain meds though, or I don't know that I would have slept through the night.
Point of the story? Don't be locked into a plan, because things don't always go the way you expect them to, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Just play it by ear Hope you're feeling well now that you're 4 days post op!
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:11 PM

I slept in the other bedroom. The bed was lower so it was easier to get out of. I had an incision and my stomach was very sore. He tends to move around a lot at night and I had to lie on my back. It was easier not to worry about a flailing arm!
I did it for almost six weeks until I could move better and feel comfortable there. Good luck to you!
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:18 PM

I came "home" after two days in the hospital to a motel room. We were moving out of one home, and the new home wouldn't be ready for two more weeks. Sounds awful, but it was actually really great because all I had to do was rest and heal. There was a king sized bed, so it was easy to sleep in the same bed as my husband. It was good to have him near also because I couldn't get out of bed by myself until almost the last day we were there, due to having a total abdominal hysterectomy. After we got into the new house, I tried sleeping on our old bed, but it hurt me too much, so I slept in my step-daughter's very soft twin size bed. Only went back to our bed last week (at 4 weeks post-op). I am finally able to roll onto both sides to sleep, so that makes it easier.
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:56 PM

I slept in the guest room, next to our bedroom, for 3 months after surgery. I needed the space, physically and emotionally. My husband was ok with that.
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:33 AM

2 nights in the hospital, then home, same bed. I wasn't on pain meds since I hardly had any pain, so I never had to wake up at night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register