Prepairing Post-op recovery room | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prepairing Post-op recovery room Prepairing Post-op recovery room

Unread 08-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Prepairing Post-op recovery room

Good morning.
I am going out today to get things for my 'recovery room' while I am down for the next few weeks.

My surgery is day after tomorrow.

So going to get extra pillows, Hubby is putting an air conditioner in the room, setting up a cooler for drinks etc by the bed. Even moving my intercom in my office, to the room (I work from home with my own business) so I can reach hubby when he is out in the shop.. etc.
Building me a pully so I can get out of bed should I need to get up and noone being there to assist. (Everyone in house works 2-3 jobs, so sometimes will be alone for a few hours).

Question. I am worried about incontenance. Anyone else have a problem with this after surgery?

I am having an emergency full hysterectomy, due to my uterus sitting on my bowel. It's shut down so living on milk of magnesia and liquid diet while I wait. Its rather big, and full of fibroid tumors. Retroverted and upside down, about the size of a canteloup.

After the fact, I am sure my body will begin to disperse the masses that haven't had to chance to leave. Anyone else have a problem with this situation? Or will all this be taken care of before I leave the hospital?

I won't know what type of surgery I am having till I go in. They are going to attempt to take it vaginally, then if they can't, due to the size of the uterus and how it is sitting backwards, move to using the camera, if that doesn't work, go in abdominally. So I am rather nervous, because it sounds like if all is involved , I am going to be a little frankenstein person down there. (Cuts in the vagina, cuts on top, la la la )

My husband who has been in medicine, says it sounds like I could end up with an upside down "T" as they would like to attempt a bikini cut first over going in horizontal. If anything goes wrong. But I am sure things have changed since the '80's when he was an intern. (I hope).

Also, how long do you bleed afterwards... a day or too? A week? Without a uterus, I wonder.

So, you could say I don't know the time limit I will be in bed, Dr. said prepare for 8 weeks. As she is sure I am going full abdominal, but wants to try a less invasive surgery if she can, due to my lifestyle.

Also, are there any good workouts to do in bed to assist the body in healing after such surgery so I can still maintian strength and get back up sooner? i was thinking maybe light yoga. Just for my legs and arms, then after a month, work on my abs lightly.

I see the Drs. tomorrow for my pre-op tomorrow, and also would like to know what questions to ask when I meet them. (I have only met one Dr. so far, I meet the team then). Anything I should ask?

I only found out 5 days ago I would be doing this, so rather nervous. I am sure all will be OK, but I have some worries. My biggest concern is being cut up like this and being on the table for it looks like 2 hours. (Thats how long the Dr. said I could be in surgery).

I have never really done any research on hysterectomies till a week ago, so am not sure what to expect with my body's healing from this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Prepairing Post-op recovery room

Sounds like you're in a great mental space for this and concentrating on all the positives and things you can control for your recovery. It's a huge help to have that sort of positive attitude. (I know, I went through both the proactive and the depressed/anxious attitude.)

To answer a few of your questions.

If bowels are an issue, make sure you mention it as they prep you and when you get into your room. As soon as I was allowed to drink, they put me on stool softeners. I was able to move my bowels on the third day, rather painlessly. You shoudn't have as much of an issue if you're already on a clear diet, but who knows what may be left down there and you certainly don't wanna pass rocks.

I've had no incontinence troubles since surgery, even with coughing or sneezing which used to make me spot. It took a while to recognize the "full bladder" feeling, so I would go sit on the pot every three hours for the first few days until I regained that sense.

About the incisions. I have a bikini - almost seven inches long (and not quite centered). The surgeon closed it without stitches, just surgitape since I make keloid scars - so discuss it with your doc, especially if they're going to do a vertical which will be more obvious through clingy knits if you make raised scars. But I'm happy the bikini will be covered by my pubic hair when it grows back and of course any panties or swimsuit I choose.

I kept my cervix and have bled a little since coming home. I wear a panty liner and it's not even really blood, just a little pink or beige discharge that comes and goes. One panty liner during the day, one at night and it's never a large amount. I've noticed that some women who dont' keep their cervix don't have any spotting at all.

As for time in bed, after about five days, I was up and about much more and sat in a chair with an ottoman much more than the bed. It's just easier to get in and out of a chair. My abs hurt quite a bit (the muscles, like you've done a huge workout the day before) for about a week, but it's subsided now and I have no trouble getting in and out of any pose. But it really depends on how much work they do down there. I've been feeling great.

Especially with your bowel issues you're gonna want to get up and around as much as possible. Little walks stimulate the bowels and help all your guts find their new permanent home in your belly once the uterus is gone. It also helps to eliminate gas pains but don't be afraid to take gas-x or whatever the hospital recommends.

I think that's about all I can help you with, but as you already know, the ladies on this site have great advice for everything!

Take care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register