Can't decide if hysterectomy or hormone treatment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't decide if hysterectomy or hormone treatment Can't decide if hysterectomy or hormone treatment

Unread 11-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Can't decide if hysterectomy or hormone treatment

Hi, I am new not only to hysterectomy but also internet discussion forums. I recently had a polyp removed from my uterus which turned out to have pre-cancerous cells. My doctor said that I dont have to panic because it is not cancer. However, I do have to decide what treatment I want to have. I can either try hormone treatment by using 'Mirena' which is a little implant in the uterus that releases progesterone in small doses and regular check ups. This treatment would have to go on for the rest of my life. I dont feel comfortable with any kind of hormone treatment as it gives me migraenes. The doctor assured me that this would not be the case with 'Mirena'. Has anybody had experience with 'Mirena'? The other choice is a total hysterectomy. I am scared that if I go with the 'Mirena' option that I still develop cancer which could not happen of course if I had the hysterectomy. But than again I have read a lot on the internet about the negative effects that hysterectomy had on other women. Is anyone out there who had to make a choice in a similar situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2005, 12:21 AM

I have not had this situation but I am sending you a HUG!
This is the right place to come for support!!!
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:01 AM

Dear rita:

Even having a hyst is no guarantee against cancer. With no dotted lines for the doctor to follow, cells can be left behind during surgery.

You can do a search of this forum using the word "mirena" and find some discussions about it. You could pursue a hyst after trying the mirena. Ultimately, only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoms AND your post-op results, good or bad.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Hi rita25 !
I found myself making a similar decision this week. Was given a choice of trying oral progesterone or having a hysterectomy now. No precancerous cells were found but apparently uterine lining is inflamed and not shedding properly which in time can become a cancer problem. I chose to try the progesterone but also am second guessing my choice. Such a hard decision and no easy answer!! I wish I could be of help to you but I guess I just needed to respond to let you know your not alone in your confusion. Please take care and you will choose which is best for you. And also maybe even a second opinion might be a good idea!

Cathy
Unread 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM

Wow, I didnt expect to have such a wonderfull feeling of support when I read all your replies. It really lifted my spirits. Whilst this forum cant make the decision for me it helps enormously to know that there are other women out there that care and have gone through similar situations. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I will definately get a 2nd dr opinion and try the forum on 'Mirena' as well. Thanks to everyone again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register