Fear of anesthesia and surgery, can't sleep well at night, HELP? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of anesthesia and surgery, can't sleep well at night, HELP? Fear of anesthesia and surgery, can't sleep well at night, HELP?

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Re: Fear of anesthesia and surgery, can't sleep well at night, HELP?

you will be fine. for me before the surgery worries were worse to go through then the healing afterwards. best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi sisters, i am so relieved to find this thread phew I am not alone. I was supposed to have my hyster (TAH)on 10th Jan but because I fell pregnant and miscarried the hormones were still hanging around so it's been postponed to the 7th of March.
I am so scared! It's like I keep getting images flashing into my head when I dont expect it of a scalpel cutting my skin and just the horrible thought of being asleep when people are pulling you about Thats what is making my scared I think..its the thought of I go to sleep and then what?? They move me, carry me onto that operating table and I have no control I'm like a ragdoll. I really hate the thought of it. I know its for the best but if i feel like this now how the hell am I going to get through the next 6 weeks of waiting. Thank goodness for you lot. I cant explain these strange fears to anyone else so thankyou for your understanding it really helps XXXXXX
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM

I made it! My surgery was on Tues, I had a TAH, I was given an epidermal along with being totally under and it helped a lot! I was so scared though, that as they were prepping me I did think about sneaking out. I had faith in God that I could see it through, and he did not let me down. The first day they were giving me morphine whenever I needed it, then they switched over to pain pills (can't remember what it was) but I had to keep on some of the nurses to keep it on time. I was very frustrated with a few of them because they were very nonchalent about it. Don't let them intimidate you, if you are scheduled to have another dose at 3:00, you should have it at 3, not at 4:30! It might also seem mean, but they will make you take short slow walks to help get the gas out. I didn't really like walking the halls, but every time I went pee, I would walk around my room, stretch out my arms and neck which will help the gas bubbles. The nurses didn't believe it would help, but I asked for warm compresses to keep on my shoulders where the bubbles like to hang out, then I would move my arms in circles and it did help me anyway. When they tell you it's time to try a suppository, THANK them! It's such a blessing to go poop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Wtg drivinmecrazy! Is it a painful process to poop if you have an incision from hip to hip?
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM

I had davinci, so only 5 small incisions on my tummy. No suppository were ordered for me. Instead my oncologist prescribed stool softeners for me and a pill form laxative if i needed it. I didnt. Just took the stool softeners when i got home.
My hospital stay was 36 hours. The ride home was yucky...too many bumps!
Glad to hear everything went well drivingmecrazy!! I told the pre-op nurses i wanted to just take a long walk down Michigan Ave...and all they said was..."nahh, you dont, lets just get this over with"
Good luck!
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookabear View Post
Wtg drivinmecrazy! Is it a painful process to poop if you have an incision from hip to hip?
It's the gas pressure that causes the pain. The incision didn't hurt while I was pooping.
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM

I think some of us who had vaginal hysterectomies have a harder time with the bowel movement because we have an extra incision through the vaginal wall, and bms stretch it. But after a few times, it's much better.
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:38 PM

Hey Sue Bug~
Just checking in...please let us know how you are doing?
(i think your date is tomorrow or tuesday?)

Sending you a BIG hug :-)

Love & Peace URF
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookabear View Post
I do not remember any pain with pooping.

BUT i do remember and will never forget the 1st time I sat on the toliet at home (just to pee) OMG!

The toliets in the Castle are "higher-up".....know i know why!
The motion of "sitting down" and "getting up" were the WORST part of this surgery.

You will find ways to deal with this ~ can you imagine that a toliet is one of my most vivid "pain memories"??? :-)

That is my my way of trying to tell you, not to worry about any pain after the surgery (when you wake-up)
The Castle was a breeze ~ compared to coming home.

Yes, they make you get up and walk around....not easy, but take "baby steps"

Sending you love & BIG hug. You will make it through and feel so much better.
URF
TAH 2008, 5x enlarged Uterus, Fibriods, Adnomyosis (kept ovaries)
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Fear of anesthesia and surgery, can't sleep well at night, HELP?

Dear HysterSisters, Thank you forth GetvWell card, it made me laugh and cry simultaneously.My TAH was on Jan. 25, I was able to have a spinal with sedative, and it all went like a dream. The recovery is a little painful, but not unmanageable, and it is now 5 days after surgery and I feel really good. My happiness with my new health and life totally overshadows any little pains.Just want to tell all the sisters that gave me advice and love and support, I could never have made it through without all of you. I'm a PRINCESS!!! Love to all you post and pre-ops, Infinite Blessings and gratitude from ...Sue Bug xxoo (:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register