Anyone else having a hysterectomy without having children? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else having a hysterectomy without having children? Anyone else having a hysterectomy without having children?

Unread 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Anyone else having a hysterectomy without having children?

It seems to be a common question for conversation starters I've found. "So do you have kids?" and then when you say "no" it seems to throw people off. I've never quite gotten that. I mean, I do, but I also don't. I guess I should change the answer to "No, I have cats"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM

I am having my hysterectomy on December 11 and I am 32 with no children. I have always wanted children but never found that special someone to settle down with.

My doctor is going to try to do the hysterectomy vaginally even though I haven't had children but he is unsure if he wil be able to due to the size of the fibroids.

I also have a niece and 2 nephews who I am very fond of and my little niece loves me to death. I feel very fortunate that I am able to live close to my family and see them frequently.

I have made sure that the relatives that are always asking "When are you going to have kids" are aware that I am having the surgery and hopefully will think about that before they ask when I see them again. I am sure it is going to be quite emotional for me as I have always wanted to have children.

I know that there is always the option to adopt and may have to pursue that option in a few years.
Unread 11-30-2006, 12:53 PM

I'm 42 years old, no children and scheduled for a hyst next week. He plans to do a TVH, with possible LAVH. I had a myomectomy 5 years ago because I wasn't completely sure if we were going to have children and I thought I was too young. My doctor told me that if the fibroids grew back, they probably wouldn't get big enough to cause any issues. Well, he was wrong and now I am having a hyst. I am not angry that I will never have kids, but can't help but be a little sad.

Anyways, I'll always have my cats.

Kitten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2006, 01:07 PM

Hello Ladies! I'm 50 and have never had children, and I had a LAVH+BSO with a 14 week uterus! It helps to have a very skilled surgeon!

My doctor said that he could cut the uterus up into smaller pieces and still take it out vaginally. The trade offs are more blood loss during surgery, and the longer time on anesthesia.

I had a great surgeon! So, there is hope for those of you who would like a vaginal hyst and have never had kids, even with a very large uterus!
Unread 11-30-2006, 01:18 PM
50 and childless

I am 50 and have never had children. I don't remember actively making a choice not to have kids, it just never seemed like the right relationship or the right time.
Vaginal hyst was out of the question for me. My doctor couldn't even do an endometrial biopsy without surgery because my cervical opening is so tiny.
Part of that is because I have not given birth, but I've always been small and narrowing of the cervical opening is a possible side effect of cold knife conization, which I had at age 30, and LEEP, which I had in 2004.
They call the narrowing stenosis. It's not common, but it happens.
The biggest problem it caused me is that I cannot have the less invasive tests that would rule in/out the various cancers before my surgery.
I believe if God had intended me to be a mother, I would be one. Since I'm not, I nurture others in other ways. It works for me.
Unread 11-30-2006, 02:44 PM

hello.i too have no children.in my case i wanted them but had eptopic and 4 miscarraiges,so a hysterectomy was a hard pill to swallow for me,but i had no option.i too had the hysterectomy youmentioned 30 days ago,and counting i must add!!i had large fibroids endemetri tilted womb and build up of scar tissue so i didnt have a choice.this is my 2nd cut in the same place.its a bit harder going for me this time,but i found my first time alot easier to deal with and recovery was quick the first time.so it should be fine for you to recover.at least you wont need to worry about it happening again.im 36.i had my ovaries taken away,but i had already started the early menapause.i found hrt to be a great help.i didnt have an option either on type of op.the ab was the only way.you wont believe how strong your tummy muscles are!they will be nice and strong to cope!ill be thinking of you.x
Unread 11-30-2006, 03:23 PM

I am 41 with no children. I had my TAH on 10/20/06 and the dr. told me it had to be abdominal because I've never had any children. I had an ablation in 2005 and that made me sterile so before I had the ablation I thought long and hard about the finality of it all. It took me a while to make the decision but I've never regretted any of it. I love my neice and nephews to death so they are "my kids"
Take Care, Patty
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:50 PM

I am in my 30's and had my hyst on 11/9. Even though my dr felt it was medically necessary, he kept asking if I were fine with the surgery since I do not have any children. Right now, I do not want children. There is no Mr Right in the picture and my plate is overfilled with work, my animals and spoiling my 7 nieces and nephews (who can be sent home when they start getting on my nerves - LOL). I told my dr that if I decided in the future that children were a priority for me, that there were thousands in the world who need a loving parent and that I could always adopt and/or foster.

s

Shelby
Unread 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM

I'll be 49 9 days after my surgery. I had a miscarriage in 1987 from a pregnancy by my ex-husband who, as it turned out, was out with another woman the night I drove myself to the hospital hemorrhaging. I married a wonderful man 14 years ago and we tried for a couple of years to get pregnant. Finally, I decided it wasn't what God had planned for us and made peace with it. Since then, I've become a god-mother to 2 beautiful children and realize now that this was my 'calling'. Also, I have 2 beautiful 'furry children' (labs) who allow me to practice my maternal instincts on them!

By the way, my mother told me that she 'grieved' for her uterus after her hysterectomy at age 39. I can't wait to see mine go!!!
Unread 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM

Hi there Jennifer...same boat as you. I'm 43 and although my DH and I made the decision not to have children and I've never really "wanted" them, not being able to have and not having the ability now is a little strange and sad. Wonder why that is? As far as the TAH, my gyn said the same thing. Three reasons I was not a great candidate for TVH: 1 - I'm a bit fluffy so my uterus was larger, 2 - I've never had kids so the ligaments and things holding it were very strong (not loosened up by childbirth), and 3 - my uterus was very far up. All three together made me decide I'd rather know going in that I'd have a TAH. He was 90% sure that he'd wind up switching over so I was glad to prepare fully ahead of time. Good luck to you...you will do great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register