2 surgeries or 1? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 surgeries or 1? 2 surgeries or 1?

Unread 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
2 surgeries or 1?

I finally had my cystoscopy today after waiting 6 weeks for the appointment. My urologist has an extremely busy schedule. When I was getting ready to leave I asked his nurse about scheduling with the hysterectomy. I *really* want to have the hysterectomy before Thanksgiving so I can have the initial healing done in time for the holidays.

The pain from my periods is getting worse every month. I started my period a few days ago and it's been just excruciating so I was really hoping this would be my last one. Anyway, the urologist's nurse said the earliest he'd probably be able to schedule me was December or possibly even January. But I really don't want to wait that long to be free of this monthly purgatory!

It occurs to me that I could separate the surgeries. I don't have to have them done together do I? I could have the hysterectomy before Thanksgiving the way I want to and put off the TOT until after the first of the year?

Has anyone done this as two subsequent surgeries instead of as one? Were there benefits? or downsides? Or am I just nuts for wanting to go under twice? I've already waited 6 weeks on this urologist and I really don't want to have to wait another 6 to end the bleeding and pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Re: 2 surgeries or 1?

I haven't had my LAVH yet, but in Dec '08, I had my right ovary removed (right salpingo-oophorectomy), myomectomy, adhesiolysis, left ovarian cystectomy, and cystoscopy w/TOT sling and I can't imagine having two separate surgeries for those things. One in/out of hospital, one recovery and healing. I don't know your situation and only you (and your doc) can decide for you, but I had rather get it done all at once.
Many (((hugs))) and prayers to you.
Unread 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM

The SUI is only really a problem in the second half of my cycle - from ovulation to bleeding. I have trouble with a lot of muscle tone in a lot of areas during that time. My voice changes, my contacts fit differently, my muscles are weaker in general and I have horrible heartburn. but it's only premenstrual.

Part of me wonders if I get rid of the monthly cycles and get onto a steady dose of estrogen if the SUI will go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2010, 05:57 PM

I haven't heard about stress incontinence being intermittent so I don't know....have you asked your doctor what (s)he thinks?
What is your diagnosis?
Unread 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM

I mentioned it to the urologist and he said, "hmmm never heard that before". Diagnosis is mild-moderate SUI. I'm just frustrated with all the waiting!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register