LAVH How long before lifting weights after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before lifting weights after hysterectomy How long before lifting weights after hysterectomy

Unread 04-11-2016, 09:23 PM
How long before lifting weights after hysterectomy

Hi all!
I am a little past 3 months post op. At my 7th week checkup my doc said everything looked great and said I was cleared for whatever I felt like doing. I went back to work at 8 weeks.
I joined the gym about two weeks ago and last week the trainer had me start using the different weight machines. This week I have noticed cramping in lower abdomen. Wondering if I'm doing to much too soon. Did your doctor advise any of you regarding weight lifting gym wise? (Sidenote..I wasn't in the gym before surgery so I know my body is in shock to some extent..lol)
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Re: How long before lifting weights

My doctor said if I am doing well at my six week check he will release me back to running and weights. I was active in the gym and as a runner prior to surgery. Someone suggested to me that compression shorts that come up to the waist are helpful for getting back into working out. I haven't tried it since I'm still in the walking stage but it may or may not help? Sorry I can't give you better advice but you could always back off a bit and see if it gets better and then add back slowly. Way to go for being in the gym!
Unread 04-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleruns View Post
My doctor said if I am doing well at my six week check he will release me back to running and weights. I was active in the gym and as a runner prior to surgery. Someone suggested to me that compression shorts that come up to the waist are helpful for getting back into working out. I haven't tried it since I'm still in the walking stage but it may or may not help? Sorry I can't give you better advice but you could always back off a bit and see if it gets better and then add back slowly. Way to go for being in the gym!
Thanks for the reply! The shorts sound like a good idea. I may give them a try. Good luck with your recovery and getting back at it. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2016, 04:42 AM

Kudos to you for getting into the gym! When you first start any new fitness program - lifting weights is no exception - there are bound to be some issues, because you're pushing your body beyond what it's accustomed to; just start with lighter weights, then slowly work your way up. I was lifting weights myself before my surgery, and when I was cleared to resume it after 6 weeks, I had to start with lighter weights, and gradually work my way back to my previous level. Also, we're not usually aware of how much these exercises use our core muscles; strengthening your core with something like Pilates can help. Keep up the good work, and best wishes for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register