anethesia & epidural | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anethesia & epidural anethesia & epidural

Unread 10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
anethesia & epidural

I read that sometimes the doctor chooses to give both anethestic and an epidural, it was said that way the pain doesn't hit all at once and the feeling comes back but at a slower pace. Has anyone had this done?
thanks to all the wonderful ladies for their support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM
anethesia & epidural

I didnt have an epidural but loved it when i got one with giving birth to my daughter LOL . I hoe some one can help. i know i have seen many post on this in the past. good luck
hugs
Lisa
Unread 10-13-2007, 06:15 AM
anethesia & epidural

During my pre-op appointment my doctor told me that either an epidural or a spinal would be an option to help with the pain. She also uses the on-Q system which delivers anesthetic through a tube that goes into the incision site. I was happy to hear that pain relief was such a high priority!
In the operating room the anesthesiologist talked with me about using an epidural/spinal -- I am not sure which one I had -- and I said yes. They had me sit up with my legs over the side of the operating table and I remember the nurse standing in front of me and telling me to lean toward her so I would fall toward her, and that is the last thing I remember until the recovery room!
It was very strange not to be able to feel (and barely move) my legs for awhile and I needed 3-4 people to help move me -- I am a big woman -- because I couldn't help much without my legs. But, bottom line, I had very little pain at all which was great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2007, 06:30 AM
anethesia & epidural

i didnt but i would imagine its fantastic pain relief. i had a spinal for a csection with the pain control in it and i felt no pain for 24 hours. i think if i was offered this with my hysterectomy, i would have taken it.
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
anethesia & epidural

I will be having a spinal with my Nov 7 hysterectomy. Will be weird about the legs but they say the pain control is better for 24 hours with it.
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM
anethesia & epidural

are you having just the spinal or both? my surgery is 11-5-07,
Unread 10-13-2007, 10:56 AM
anethesia & epidural

I was planning on a spinal, but found out this past week that I am allergic to local anesthetic, so the spinal went out the window.
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:34 AM
anethesia & epidural

After much fear and hesitation my doctor and anesthesiologist managed to talk me into having the spinal and general anesthesia. Let me say this, while they were giving me the initial injection I was wondering why I had agreed to it. About that time the cocktail to relax me kicked in and I don't remember a thing until waking up in recovery with no pain at all! The nurses in recovery had to send me up to my room an hour early because I was talking and excited and making a lot of noise. All of this due to the fact that I've never woken up pain free in the recovery room after surgery. I think I might have been bothering the other patients up there.

Anyway, I had some breakthrough pain that they controlled via a PCA with Diladud. The main problem was that I ran into one of the most common side effects with the spinal, itching. But they gave me some benedryl and I was fine. Beyond that I have no way of knowing what a normal recovery with it would have been like, cause I developed a hematoma that caused a lot more pain than if my incision had been normal.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck with everything.
Unread 10-13-2007, 01:08 PM
anethesia & epidural

I had a spinal and had very little pain! I only need pain meds one night. Otherwise I had Motrin. Just know when you wake up you might not be able to feel your legs. I started freaking out because I couldn't move my legs. My doc had to tell me that was normal for up to 24 hours.
Unread 10-13-2007, 08:02 PM
anethesia & epidural

Far as I know I wasn't given a spinal. At least I wasn't asked it I wanted one. I don't think I had any less pain even if I did have a spinal. All I can remember is the nurse telling me to think of something pleasant while she put the mask over my face and it's the last thing I remember until I woke up in recovery. At least the anesthesia didn't make me sick. I was up that night eating a sandwich. Something I didn't think I'd be able to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register