Stats on how often an abdominal surgery after c-sections? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stats on how often an abdominal surgery after c-sections? Stats on how often an abdominal surgery after c-sections?

Unread 03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Stats on how often an abdominal surgery after c-sections?

Wondering if any of you wise women might have some insight into how often an abdominal incision is done when we enter the operating room not knowing. I have had three c-sections and have been told I 'might' have to have an abdominal incision. Any advise or suggestions in regards to questions I might ask my doc would be appreciated. Being the type 'A' personality I am and having to be in control leaves me feeling uneasy about what will be. I am also booked for a cystocele, rectocele and any other 'cele' they come up with before my surgery date (LOL) on 23Apr08.
Thanks in advance.
Hugs,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Hi! I don't know if it varies from surgeon to surgeon, but here's my scoop.

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on June 13. Since I've had one other abdominal surgery and two c-sections, I've already been told it will be an abdominal - too much scar tissue. I'm okay with that because I'm looking at the end result.

I'm also like you - I don't like not being in control. I've got 86 days to go and I'm already making a list of 'to dos' before I go to the castle.
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM

HI - I had two previous c-sections and my surgery was abdominal with a vertical cut (going in through the old scar). My Dr. said that for her it was better for my surgery to be abdominal and then she could also have a good look around. I had a bicornuate (double) uterus removed - I don't really think it was any bigger than a single one and at my post op appointment I completely forgot to ask. I was feeling so much better at 7 weeks that I really didn't care what was gone - just that it was. Best of luck with your surgeries and recoveries ladies - the waiting really is the hardest part.

Take care, Vee

(TAH - kept ovaries)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 11:25 AM

I had two c-sections, and there was no question that I would be having an abdominal hysterectomy. The reasons given to me were:

* I had never had a vaginal birth, therefore the cervix had never been dilated fully
* My uterus was too large for a vaginal procedure
* My uterus was at a poor angle (tilted) for a vaginal procedure

As it turned out, even if they had tried to do the vaginal procedure, it would have had to be converted to abdominal because my bladder and uterus were adhered to each other by scar tissue.

There was one piece of good news, though! They told me I would have T-shaped incision (vertical for the TAH, and horizontal -- hip-to-hip -- for the panniculectomy). However, they were able to do the entire procedure with just the horizontal incision.

I absolutely understand that you would want to have as much information as possible going into surgery, and I'm glad you're thinking this through very carefully.

Considering your history, I think I would go into the surgery expecting an abdominal surgery, and if they can do it vaginally, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The medical team will do what is best based on how things go that day. and best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy, uncomplicated recovery.
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
"TAH" doesn't necessarilly mean "t-shaped" incision does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491
They told me I would have T-shaped incision (vertical for the TAH, and horizontal -- hip-to-hip -- for the panniculectomy). However, they were able to do the entire procedure with just the horizontal incision.
"TAH" doesn't necessarilly mean "t-shaped" incision does it? I never thought about this before... but I assumed I would be getting an abdominal/horizontal incision across where my 3 c-sections have been...

Now, I am a bit concerned...
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:13 PM

i had 2 csections, hernia surgery, mini tummy tuck/scar revision and i had no problems at all having a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. i asked my dr at my pre-op if he thought he'd have any problems and said no, he was confidant i could have the lsh. all went well and the surgery was very easy to recover from.
you might want to get a second opinion (always a good idea before any major surgery) and also speak to your dr about what type of lap surgery you might be able to have...a lsh, tlh, or lavh. doing research and asking a lot of questions is the best thing you can do. good luck
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM

I had a c-section 19 years ago (my daughter). I have to have an abdominal because my doctor wants to viusually inspect my ovaries before taking them out. I have "complex" cysts on both ovaries (and uterine fibroids) but he wants the option of leaving my ovaries because of my age, if he thinks it's possible. At first he was going to use my c-section scar but found out that I had hernia surgery where they used the metal "netting" to prevent future hernia's. Now he has to go a couple inches up and over to the side to make my incision.
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi Ladies,
I had 3 previous c-sections, and was scheduled for a total LAVH on 1/8/8 to remove what I had left after having 5 previous surgeries to remove endometriosis issues and fibroids. After my surgery in Jan. I had 3 small inscisions on my abdomen, one was about 2 inches long over top of the previous c-section scar, one inside my belly button, and the other on the right side of my abdomen about an inch long. and the rest done vaginally. I was back to work at 5 weeks, I would have like 8, but thats the way the insurance cos. work. Most DR's will only do what they're comfortable doing, since each case is different, they require different procedures. It doesn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion though.
Unread 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorylyn
"TAH" doesn't necessarilly mean "t-shaped" incision does it? I never thought about this before... but I assumed I would be getting an abdominal/horizontal incision across where my 3 c-sections have been...

Now, I am a bit concerned...

Not to worry... "TAH" means total abdominal hysterectomy, meaning the entire uterus (which includes the cervix since it's actually part of the uterus) is removed. "SAH" means an abdominal surgery where the lower part of the uterus is removed and the cervix remains. It refers to the actual procedure, not the incision.

I actually did have a vertical incision already from my 2nd c-section, but it was nice to only have the horizontal incision with my TAH.
Unread 03-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I so appreciate the time everyone took to answer my question about the abdominal incision. I'm thinking I'm a little more nervous now as I thought I'd get away with a vaginal surgery but I suppose I should suck it up and face reality. MJD2491 ~ I will take your advice and go in expecting an abdominal incision and be pleasantly surprised if it's not! That doesn't help with the control issues but I guess that we can save for another website ... LOL
Hugs,
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register