Scheduled TVH Thursday Feb 17th - Jitters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thursday Feb 17th - Jitters Thursday Feb 17th - Jitters

Unread 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Thursday Feb 17th - Jitters

Hello fellow hystersisters, woo I'm trying not to be afraid of
the upcoming surgery but I wouldn't be honest. I have avoided this for years, and now I have a belief that I will regain my life back and also my quality of life. What is the day after like ? I have a low resistance to pain. Why am i feeling alone? Questioning what I am doing ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Re: Thursday Feb 17th - Jitters

hey sue

you sound like me and I'm sure lots of others here. I was SUPER scared. Really really SUPER scared. I too had it hanging over me for years until I really had no choice but to deal with it. If you look back over my old posts you can see some of what I dealt with.

Do lots of research, find a Dr that you like who will listen to you and honor your opinion and do it the way YOU want it done. I just had mine done last Thursday. Friday was pretty good. I was sore, but they were really good about bringing me medicine for the pain. and they had to come a lot. They even called my Dr to get the orders for medicine increased so I was comfortable. Other than that it was pretty boring. I had a hard time sleeping in the hospital. I went home the next day to my comfy bed. Other than the sore spot on my belly, I'm doing well. Looking forward to the future when I don't have to deal with anemia, flooding and intense cramps. I was so scared I still haven't really thought about how much better things will be!

It is really easy for people to say "oh, you'll be fine" etc etc. But when its you (or me) suddenly its a lot more scary. The thought of allowing them to do surgery on me was too much....i got an rx for xanax, which helped. As it turned out, they were SO nice! Not one person made me feel bad for being scared. Just like the sisters say, the waiting is the worst and for me it was awful! It could not have gone any better for me. I mean it went exactly as I wanted it to. Everyone was incredibly nice AND skilled!

Hang in there, if I can do it, so can you

Sarah
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me. I think I will try to keep myself busy. Pack my bags and prep for my return home. I'm actually premenstrual with cramps and leg pains, that alone should keep me motivated ;0) Also can't stop crying but I know it will be ok. I'm so glad that you are on the road to recovery. God Bless you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Good luck! I am having a TVH also in 24 days!

speedy recovery!
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandylicious View Post
Good luck! I am having a TVH also in 24 days!

speedy recovery!
Wow Dandylicious, that is my born day ! I hope to be out and easily about by then. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery as well.
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM

hi Sue.. what has you so scared? the thought of having surgery, the surgery itself or the recovery? I had a TVH just last Thursday and just can't believe how well I feel today... I had suffered years of heavy bleeding, cramps and migraines, years of trying different estrogen meds that caused more side effects... so i was pretty excited to finally find a doctor who agreed surgery was my next option.

Once i arrived the staff treated me so well... i let them know some of my fears of surgery.... the tube in the throat, blowing veins putting in the IV and waking up extremely cold... they addressed these issues and i had an awesome experience.

after surgery, i slept off and on... took my pain pills every 3 hours... i wish i had asked to start on stool softeners and gas relief the first day... the gas was very uncomfortable and looking back it was probably the only pain i had in the hospital.

sweetie, breathe in and out slowly... focus on the positive outcome and remember you have my prayers along with many others from this site with you as you go through this...
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:30 AM

My date was scheduled for the 22nd....and I understand the original poster's worries. Your mind can paint horrible pictures all too easily. You can imagine, I'm seeing the face of every patient I've had who should have had a "nothing" cholecystectomy, bladder tack, etc., who went unexpectedly bad. My doc is wonderful, but he can't do anything about what I've seen. Disappointed he can't do me da Vinci, but I keep telling myself I'm not the nurse with this, I'm the patient. And I'm hoping the nurses that look after me don't end up doing "rock/paper/scissors" to see who has to go to my room when I hit the bell...
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Thursday Feb 17th - Jitters

HiBeb,
I really don't know what I am afraid of because I am not that kind of person who is fearful. This website has helped relax my mind however. I woke this morning feeling really good mentally an decided that I will not allow fear to saturate my mind. Thinking of my recovery and downtime. Plan on crocheting hats for babies and donating them to hositals. Have said that) I will gather up my yarns and needles and patterns today along with other positive things to keep my mind on the right track. Thank you for helping me.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by debkbrushwood View Post
hi Sue.. what has you so scared? the thought of having surgery, the surgery itself or the recovery? I had a TVH just last Thursday and just can't believe how well I feel today... I had suffered years of heavy bleeding, cramps and migraines, years of trying different estrogen meds that caused more side effects... so i was pretty excited to finally find a doctor who agreed surgery was my next option.

Once i arrived the staff treated me so well... i let them know some of my fears of surgery.... the tube in the throat, blowing veins putting in the IV and waking up extremely cold... they addressed these issues and i had an awesome experience.

after surgery, i slept off and on... took my pain pills every 3 hours... i wish i had asked to start on stool softeners and gas relief the first day... the gas was very uncomfortable and looking back it was probably the only pain i had in the hospital.

sweetie, breathe in and out slowly... focus on the positive outcome and remember you have my prayers along with many others from this site with you as you go through this...
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM

The day in the hospital I got IV meds but once home I only needed Aleve, no narcs. The pain was like menstrual cramps and pulling and was well controlled. I expected a whole lot more pain. I was scared before but it all went well and I felt silly I'd worried so much. Chances are you will do well, you are right to stay busy. Best wishes for an easy surgery and recovery.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM

for me the day after.. a happily medicated blur! :-)

Truely, less pain than my normal cramps, but now I had a morphine pump! woo hooo!

I was a mess when I was in your shoes, waiting, worrying, and more waiting. It felt like a weight was lifted when I woke up after surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register