New, with questions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, with questions... New, with questions...

Unread 08-14-2004, 03:40 PM
New, with questions...

Hi all! I am new to the boards here, and have been reading up today from lots of others with the same issues that I have. It sure is wonderful to be able to come here, and have others relate to what I am going through. I will give you some history on myself, then ask some questions. Thanks ahead of time for reading about me, and for any advice given!

I am 38 years old, and done having children. I have a history of very bad periods, for many years, that have gotten progressively worse. I have known for a long time that something just isn't "right", but didn't have a doctor who would listen to me until recently. I have severe pms, heavy bleeding with clots and "gushing", painful intercourse, bloating most of the month, and horrible mood swings due to hormones. I do take Lexipro for the moods, and that helps alot. Two months ago, I had my yearly, and my gyn. found a fairly large ovarian cyst. She had me come back in for a follow up sonogram just last Tuesday, which showed considerable growth of that cyst, which she then dx. as endometriosis in/on that ovary.

Due to all my symptoms that have lasted for several years, as well as the cyst, she has given me two options. The first would be to remove the ovary with the cyst, put me on Lupron-Depot for six months, then start up my periods again. She feels that the endometriosis will more than likely still be there, and so will a lot of my symptoms. Due to the size of my cyst, it cannot be taken out laproscopically, for fear of it bursting on the way "out". So, I will have to have an incision in my abdomen to remove this.

The second option she gave me is a hysterectomy. This would more than likely take care of the endometriosis, find out if I have andemyosis (sp), and leave me pain free/period free. (I am not having any more children, so this is not a factor for me). She says the decision here would be whether to keep my right ovary, since I've got several more "good years" of hormone production to be had from it.

I am waiting on her to call me with the radiology report from the sonogram of that cyst. She doesn't feel it is cancer, but is concerned that it could burst, spreading more endo., which we really don't want to happen. She says that surgery will need to be in the next 4-6 weeks, either way.

I am leaning on getting the hysterectomy, since I am just at the end of my rope with all of this. I have tried the b/c pills, to no avail, and also Prometrium, that hasn't helped. I have suffered for years, and now I am housebound about three days a month or more, since I bleed so heavily and make a terrible mess.

Anyone have any ideas about this for me? Should I keep the ovary if I have the hysterectomy? What would you do, if it were you? Thanks again!
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2004, 04:25 AM
I feel like we're twins

Hi,
You must be my twin. I'm 38 and have just been told the same things. In june, my doc told me I have a big endometrian cyst attatched to my left ovary and it needed to come out. I'm done having children, so like you, she said to think about a hysterectomy. I have already had one cyst burst(very painful). My doc wanted it removed at the beginning of aug., but I put off making any decisions because I have cancelled all of our family vacations this summer except for the cruise we are taking the kids on at the end of summer. I just didn't want to ruin one more thing for them. My periods are awful too, full of pain bleeding etc. I'm pretty new here also. I stumbled on this site 1 week ago. Some decisions are hard to make. Your in my prayers. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I still don't know how to use this site very well.

Audrey
Unread 08-15-2004, 05:54 AM
Hi Twin!

Hi Audrey! I just got up, and was so glad to see your post this morning! It does sound like we are going through the same things, doesn't it? Have you decided to have the hysterectomy? I am getting tons of advice from my friends on this decision. My closest friends want me to get a second opinion, since it's "major" surgery. I'm thinking that I don't really have time to get one, since she wants this cyst and ovary out of there soon. I do trust her since she's the ONLY dr. that has listened to me and seems to take me seriously. (I have been seeing her now for a couple of years). What would you tell these good friends of mine? Should I seek a second opinion, in your opinion? LOL! (I just made a funny!) :P How has your family reacted to what you are going through?

Well, it's so glad to have a friend here! Thanks so much, and keep me posted on what's happening with you!
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2004, 09:09 AM
New, with questions...

Hi Welcome to Hystersisters!

The decision to have a hysterectomy is not an easy one for any of us to make. I, like your friends, would encourage you to have at least a second, or even third opinion. A hysterectomy is major surgery and brings with it a host of other issues, including recovery and hormone issues.

There are some informative links in our Resources section. (<--Click on purple Resources provided). Make sure you do your research and weigh out all the pros and cons regarding your options. In the end, together with your doctor(s), you will make the decision that seems best for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register