Scheduled TVH Advice for post-op TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice for post-op TVH Advice for post-op TVH

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Advice for post-op TVH

I am having TVH on 7/27. Trying to plan what I'll need when I get home from the hospital. We have a lot of stairs in my house. My couch on the main floor is not comfortable. I am wondering if we should move a bed and TV to our office on the main floor. Are stairs difficult after TVH? I was also wondering for those who have had TVH how long you were restricted from driving? Will I need a tummy pillow? How long before you can take a shower/bath? Any other advice from those who have gone through it? I am starting to feel overwhelmed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Re: Advice for post-op TVH

Hi I has TVH on7/7 and my stairs are no problem. Actually Ive had very little pain. Your stairs shouldnt be a problem.
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Hi luvs2travel!!

I had TVH with repairs on May 25. Dr said no stairs for a week after I got home and only once a day for a while after. The repairs may have been the reason for the restriction but do check with your Dr.

I was told that I could drive after 2 weeks but I didn’t try until 4 weeks. I still find it uncomfortable but again, this could be the repairs.

Showers were ok right away, but baths are still a no-no for me.

If you can, I would go ahead and do the bed downstairs so you can have a place to rest comfortably. Even if the Dr does not restrict the stairs, your body may appreciate not having to go up and down every time you want a rest. Our couch downstairs is not comfortable either so we rigged the sofa bed with an air mattress and it is still up because sometimes I get very tired very quickly. The most important thing is to listen to your body!!

Good luck with your surgery!!

Hugs,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM

I had TVH. Shower---right away. Stairs----no restrictions and had to do stairs many times a day, no pain to do so. Driving----I waited about a week. I was told no narcs and no pain when fast braking. Mainly I had minimal pain, I only took Aleve for it, and actually felt guilty at how good I felt when others offered to do things for me. I think TVH is easier than other methods that involve outside incisions but it is major surgery. Still, I had to remind myself of that because it was so much easier than I ever expected. Hope you have the same experience.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Had my TVH on 06/15. I had driving restrictions for 2 wks. He told me the day I went home I could go up and down steps as many times as I wanted. I was not restricted on that, however, I had a 20# lifting restriction. I had a TV tray by the couch that had my meds, water, remotes, magazines etc. That really helped me be able to help myself. Also, lots of pillows. I usually took a 1 hr nap in the AM and 2 hr nap in the PM but that was just the first week. Didn't need them after. I just got back from my post-op (4wks tomorrow) and I'm going back to work. You will be just fine, just take it easy and let people help you. My family provided evening meals for 4 days and that was a Godsend. Just think, no more periods!!! I didn't need a tummy pillow but I had one just for comfort. I found that a pillow in the back and front really helped. The nurse told me I could shower the day after my surgery. I waited until the day after I got home. It will wear you out so be prepared to take a nap. Good luck to you, you'll be glad you did it.
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone! Sounds like everyone has been healing quickly which makes me feel good. My doc did say TVH is so much easier than TAH. Did you get the swelly belly? I've been reading about that but most people that were posting had TAH.
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM

No swelly belly for me.
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2travel View Post
I am having TVH on 7/27. Trying to plan what I'll need when I get home from the hospital. We have a lot of stairs in my house. My couch on the main floor is not comfortable. I am wondering if we should move a bed and TV to our office on the main floor. Are stairs difficult after TVH? I was also wondering for those who have had TVH how long you were restricted from driving? Will I need a tummy pillow? How long before you can take a shower/bath? Any other advice from those who have gone through it? I am starting to feel overwhelmed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

My doc told me no stairs when I went home from the hospital. I was restricted from driving for 2 weeks. I loved my tummy pillow. I picked up a down travel pillow at Walmart. I took a shower the day after surgery and my doc let me go back to tub baths at 2 weeks (Go by the advice of your doc though because some restrict it longer than that and your doc knows more about your particular case). You will need some very loose fitting and comfy clothes because your belly will probably be pretty swollen. You won't feel like eating much when you come home. I lived on craisins, crackers, toast, soup, yogurt, jello, and orange sherbet that first week. You also may want some Ginger ale for if you feel nauseous. Most of all you have got to rest. Don't try to make dinner or do laundry or anything for several weeks. Pick up some stool softeners before your surgery because you'll need them. Those first few BMs are really hard and can be quite painful. You'll also want some extra strength Gas-x because most of your pain will be from the gas.
You might also want to wash with baby bath after surgery because perfumed soaps can cause much irritation.
Good luck with your surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Although I have not yet had my TVH (having it on Wednesday) I just asked these same questions to my doctor the other day. She said stairs were fine, shower the next day. Could drive within 1 week provided I'm no longer on pain meds.
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM

I have a friend who recently had major surgery and his wife set up a reclining lawn chair with a foam mattress pad on it in their living room. She said it was an ideal setting for him - could lie almost flat or sit up. Would your couch be more comfortable with several bed pillows? It is important - especially that first week - that you can be comfortable, so do whatever you must to ensure that will happen.

I had TVH 6/23 - am 3 weeks post-op. MY doc said I can drive when I'm off the Lortab (took that for three days) but I am in rural area and my driving is not stop & go city but more 65mph highway. I drove to the grocery store a mile away (with my son to carry the few items we were getting) about 6 days post-op and wouldn't want to get myself into a situation where I'd need to brake alot until at least 2 weeks out.

As far as what to expect for pain, gas hurts more than you would anticipate but it means things are "working", so it's a good hurt? My pain post-op was low back - like back labor. It was never more than a 3 on the pain scale and easily controllable by Lortab and then Ibuprofin (800 mg). I didn't have swelly belly at all. As far as a tummy pillow, I just used a couch pillow more to protect myself from my cat and dog thinking they could get on my lap. I think the pillow is more for security than anything else. It is tender to laugh, cough, etc. for the first week or so. I showered the day after surgery at the hospital w/o problems - it felt good to be up and around. Had first BM (which I feared!) 3 days post-op (I had my first meal the day of surgery - I was starving so they fed me lunch). BM was really not a big deal. I did start eating BRAN cereal (Cracklin Oat Bran is really good) the week before surgery anticipating issues and I did take stool softeners both at the hospital and at home. I also bought Gas-X but never used it.

Also, if it helps, I am 41 - healthy - on no meds - 5'2" and 152 lbs (ack! 25 lbs overweight!). I often wonder when people post horror stories if they have other health issues that impede their recovery. I hope that you will be absolutely amazed at how good you feel after such a major surgery. I was.

Good luck. This procedure will change your life for the better and hopefully more women in the world can go back to wearing white pants.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register