Surgical Menopause cause hair loss? or Weight Gain? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause cause hair loss? or Weight Gain? Surgical Menopause cause hair loss? or Weight Gain?

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Re: Surgical Menopause cause hair loss? or Weight Gain?

I have a RX for Effexor XR... Thank you for your info! I don't like taking anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey2010 View Post
I have a RX for Effexor XR... Thank you for your info! I don't like taking anything...
Oh darlin' I know from what I read Effexor is highly prescribed for these reasons and I wont go through my entire experience with it but it was a nasty nasty medication! Weight gain from it, and it took a YEAR to wean off. Before you start that one do your research, there are other medications you can take.
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:03 PM

i am 2 weeks post op and am on HRT... the vivelle patch .5... so far no hair loss and i've been losing weight... i tried to go without hormones for a few days and had horrible anxiety attacks... i'm also on anti-depressants, i've been on them forever... i'm sure they are helping with the mood swings and hormone changes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly36 View Post
i am 2 weeks post op and am on HRT... the vivelle patch .5... so far no hair loss and i've been losing weight... i tried to go without hormones for a few days and had horrible anxiety attacks... i'm also on anti-depressants, i've been on them forever... i'm sure they are helping with the mood swings and hormone changes...

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I am encouraged about the weight loss since I need to shed a quite a few pounds. (40) I also take zanax for anxiety, so I am well equipped for the potential after surgery. Just curious, how did the rest of your recovery go?
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM

Hello ladies, I am 2 days post op from a davinci hyst. w/BSO. I was immediately started on the vivelle dot patch after they finished teh surgery. So far, im stll praying I don't experience, I haven't had any symptoms of menopause. I plan to return for my first post op appt. to further add to my natural HRT regemine. I like the dot patch because it's not something i have to remember everyday. It just goes straight into my blood stream.
I hope that helps answer some of your questions. ;-_)
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM

tater218 - I couldn't agree more! I have been on 'side-effexor' since 2007. NASTY drug. It took me months to decrease from 150 mg to 75 mg. If I'm late on a dose, ohhhh the withdrawl symptoms, esp. the 'brain zaps'. I have gained sooooo much weight since taking this evil drug.....

Smokey2010, PLEASE do your internet research and talk to your pharmacist - they KNOW....
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM

I'm glad you are here to back me on Effexor. I've posted a few times on the board about how I urge people to find an alternative to that nasty med and only get people reply saying its been fine for them. I gained 35lbs from that stupid med and coming off of it was the most unreal nightmare I ever lived!! My husband was literally counting the little granules in the pills to decrease me as slowly as possible. What finally helped with side effects coming off was when I started takein Omega 3, B-complex and something else I can't remember, per recomendation of a Pharmacist I worked with.

Don't start any med until you know the facts about it. Effexor shouldn't even be on the market anymore it was so bad!
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM

i had a tah/bso aug 3,2009. i have had no hair loss but have had some weight gain but I take no HRT because I was afraid of the risk of breast cancer. It runs in my family and I have already had to have numerous biopsies on my breast that turn out to be ok but still scares me. I still have hot flashes mostly in bed at night and end up taking my shirt off most of the time. Hot one minute and cold the next, it is hard to get comfortable sometime without HRT but since you are taking them they may help you. good luck
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM

I'm 49 and having a TAH/BSO tomorrow. I get night sweats already. I thought this was my only menopause symptom, but for the last 3.5 months, since I have been having A LOT of problems in this area, my hair has been thinning. I can't take HRT, since my grandmother had breast cancer. My doctor is saying lets wait and see. I'm scared, but my mom says she never had a hot flash. I guess, like he said, we'll see. Maybe he'll give me some Atavan or Prosac afterwards. I hope so right now.
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:13 PM

peggyhb - my prayers are with you as you prepare for surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register