TAH coming up and worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH coming up and worried TAH coming up and worried

Unread 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
TAH coming up and worried

I am scheduled for a tah bso Aug 5 for complex adnexal mass with septations it is the size of a grapefruit. My uterus is the size of a melon with adenomyosis. Had us, mri, ca 125 came back normal. My ob/gyn thinks it is benign and said right ovary is really up to me but if they find malignant cells in biopsy they will have to open me back up to remove rt ovary if they do not do it then. I had no symptoms all this was found at yearly. I have a very good libido I am physically active I have ran a dozen marathons and I enjoy my active life I am just scared about loosing my hormones and going on HRT I am worried these things will not be the same. But I really do not want them to have to open me up to take care of another problem. I am 45 so I am probably 5 or 6 years from menopause. Just scared and I want to try and make the best decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Re: TAH coming up and worried

Hi,

I had my TAH 6 months ago. They left me with my right ovary. I was sheduled Oct 20 to have my TAH then. They gyno opened me up, saw that my uterous was fused to my bladder and bowels.He closed me back up, hair line incision. I went back in Jan 12 with three surgeons to have my TAH. It took 5 1/2 hours. My uterous was the size of a foot ball due to a fibroid. Initially I was diagnosed with pre cancerous cells on my cervic. My TAH was to remove my cervics but because everything was fused it all had to come out. Anyway, it was the best decision I made. I also was afraid of low or next to nothing libido. But if anything I have a greater libido now. No pain and great enjoyment. My ovary took awhile to get back to normal, but I think it is finally working again. I had hot flashes like crazy after my surgery. I am 53 so I am abit older then you are. I am finally able to be active again. With each day I feel better. The bad thing bout my TAH was that the Gyno couldn't reach far enough down to get all of my cervics so I my still have some pre cancerous cells in the little bit he had to leave behind. All I can say is there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I to was very scared and worried, but I do not regret my having a TAH.

Best of luck and think of the future being pain free and having a normal life again. It's a big decision.

Pauline
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO a week from today for the same reason as you. I too have an adnexal mass and pap came back adnormal with endo. I chose to go to an GYN/ONC for second opinion. He told me that it must all come out because there is a higher chance of reoccurance. I have had cancer in the past and according to him, why go through this again lets do it now. I too am worried about surgical menapause, (I am 51), but when weighing all the options, I chose to do it all. I wish you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. It is a tremendous help just being reminded that you are not the only one and its good to hear from others who have been there before you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register