trying to remain positive before surgery. anu last minute advice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

trying to remain positive before surgery. anu last minute advice? trying to remain positive before surgery. anu last minute advice?

Unread 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
trying to remain positive before surgery. anu last minute advice?

I go on for my surgery next Friday. A little scared. I had surgery for tubal pregnancy but never had c section. Only took a week to go back to work. Have to have abdominal because fibroids are too big. Any helpful suggestions to ease my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Re: trying to remain positive before surgery. anu last minute advice?

First off, know that your fears and nerves are completely normal. This is a tough surgery to wrap your brain around. We understand what you are going through, and are here to help you. We will be by your side throughout this whole process.

All of the doctors and nurses will take very good care of you. They will see you through this surgery.

Recovery from this surgery will take time. It is more a marathon than a sprint. Everyone is different, but it is doubtful that you will be able to go back to work in one week. Depending on your job and how you recover, it can take several weeks. And then, you have to ease SLOWLY back into your life.

The best way to ease your mind before surgery is to stay busy. That worked for me.

Unread 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM

I had abdominal also because of large fubroids and hyperplasia. I was really nervous and scared of surgery but was in so much pain, i couldnt wait for it to be over at the same time. In the week or so before surgery, i kept busy by doing crafts, reading, journaling, watching movies, etc. Keep busy is the key to not over stress. I had surgery Jan. 9 came home the 11th. Surgery wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it was and neither is recovery. Its normal to be nervous, but everything will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM

I agree... Keeping yourself busy in the days leading up is great. I kept busy by preparing everything for when I came home. Preping meals, shopping, cleaning ect.
Since the surgery is abdominal I wouldn't be expecting to be back to work as soon as you were before. I had it in my mind that this would be as easy of recovery as my c-section. Didn't take me long to figure out this was way different!! I am eight weeks out this Wednesday, still get the dreaded swelly belly, odd pings and pangs,tiredness and am still in sweats
Everyone recovers at their own pace. Remember to take it easy and listen to your body.
Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Honestly, one week is not enough, whatever way you "slice it". .. This is major surgery ... You may feel fine but your body is still healing ... You risk straining yourself and your body bits that are trying to sew themselves back together ..landing yourself in the ER and having complications. I am a week out, i started a training class (from home) 6 hours a day on Wed (my surgery was on Monday) .. BUT I was at home in bed. I feel fine, other than the feeling someone kicked me in the stomach. Today was the first day i could bend to pick something off the floor. But i would never ever consider going back to an "outside job" after a week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register