Hospital stay for daVinci hysterectomy /BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 weeks) | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital stay for daVinci hysterectomy /BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 weeks) Hospital stay for daVinci hysterectomy /BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 weeks)

Unread 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Hospital stay for daVinci hysterectomy /BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 weeks)

First post. I'm an NP but have never ever worked GYN or oncology.

I'm scheduled for TH/BSO with lymph node dissection with robotic assist. I'm planning to leave same day as surgery and return to my fairly active on my feet job in three weeks.

Has anyone done this? I had a D&C and went right back to work without any pain or need for rest.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Re: Hospital stay for daVinci TH/BSO w/lymph node dissection

Welcome,

To be honest, this is a bit ambitious. I know DaVinci advertises quicker healing times, but when it comes to hysterectomy, it just isn't true. You will have only tiny incisions on the outside, but internally you will have much healing going on. At 3 weeks, any pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, twisting is not only painful but still puts you at a pretty good risk of hemorrhage. I have a sedentary job and thought I'd be able to go back at 4 weeks instead of the requisite 6 since I had a laproscopic procedure. The reality is much, much different. My physician never felt 4 weeks was realistic, I doubt yours will either. Especially the on your feet part. That is one of the single biggest things to throw me backwards and back on to pain medicine is being on my feet too much. (It will be 4 weeks in just a couple days for me). I actually ended up back in the hospital last week for pain management and an infection of sorts for two days. I just drove for the first time today and it hurt! You do not realize how much of your abdominals you use for driving! I do know a nurse who went back at 3 weeks afterward, but only half time and she's a grant writer, so a desk job. I would recommend putting in for the full amount of time off that your physician tells you, 6-8 weeks is typical, and if you really feel that great at 3 weeks, ask to go back sooner. It's much easier to ask off the whole time and go back early than it is to not put in for enough time and then have to go through the paperwork to extend.
Unread 06-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Re: Hospital stay for daVinci TH/BSO w/lymph node dissection

Hi NP to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I agree with the other sister: back to a physically demanding work 3 weeks after MAJOR SURGERY is ambitious. Having a hysterectomy is very different than having a D&C. You are having an important organ removed from your body, along with tubes and ovaries. No matter the surgery type you will have much internal healing to do.

Recovery is different for everyone. You need to think in terms of weeks and not days. And, returning to work is very dependent on how much physically active you have to be, and how fast you recover.

Talk to your doctor about your job duties and how long before he or she will release you. Remember, you only once chance to heal right and if you do too much too soon you can damage yourself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Re: Hospital stay for daVinci TH/BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 weeks anyone e

As for going home the same day, that is very individual, it's about 30% overall for people going home same day with DaVinci or Laproscopic from what I've heard, 1 night stay is most common. I stayed 2 and that was about right. It's nice to have the assistance, you usually wake up with a catheter and many want to keep it in overnight to limit going to the bathroom all the time with all the IV fluids. Your bladder will be cranky and you literally may be up and going every 30 minutes the first few days. Also, many docs want those IV fluids overnight anyway, so that keeps you there. If you are able to eat, pass gas and pain is well controlled on oral meds, they may well let you go home, but if you choose this option, make sure home is a quiet place where you can rest and you have another person to help you for a couple of days. That was not the case for me, I have special needs children, so I told my Doctor up front I'd need time. He requires a 1 night stay anyway, but I wasn't controlled on pain or passing gas after that one night, so going home wasn't even an option anyway.
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Re: Hospital stay for daVinci TH/BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 weeks anyone e

I had both a D&C and a hysterectomy. The two aren't comparable at all. My D&C was late in the day, so when I got home I had a bite to eat and went to bed, as I was groggy from the sedative. Slept in the next morning, then walked a mile and half to work and worked the afternoon and evening shifts.

After my hysterectomy, it was four weeks before I was confident of being able to do the walk to work and then still have enough energy to get work done once I got there. And that's for a desk job, at a time of year when the job was part-time.

It *might* happen that you'll be able to return in three weeks, but it's very likely not to. You aren't going to know until you get there.
Unread 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone - appreciate the personal experiences. I guess I will just have to see how I feel. I put in for 80 hours PTO for now. I do have the option to work part time for a week or so but as I live in a rural area and usually drive >100 miles/day, I will plan to go slow.
Unread 06-20-2017, 08:27 AM

I had my da Vinci yesterday removed everything except the ovaries). It seems it went straightforward and fine.
I checked in at 8:30 am, surgery scheduled for 10:30 am, was in my room about 2:30 pm, and got sent home at about midnight. I was not ready, I never peed by myself, they put a quick catheter in at 11 pm, when sent me on way home. But now I am fine at home.

As for being active, I am way too early in my recovery to even hazard a guess, you know?
Unread 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda.Jones View Post
Thanks everyone - appreciate the personal experiences. I guess I will just have to see how I feel. I put in for 80 hours PTO for now. I do have the option to work part time for a week or so but as I live in a rural area and usually drive >100 miles/day, I will plan to go slow.
You will be under driving restrictions, which can vary depending on your scenario. Please advise your doctor about all of your job requirements, including lifting, time on your feet, and drive distance. All of this will play a role on when you will be released for your work. It may be better to plan on a longer recovery than an easy one. If you end up having an easy recovery, you can go back early.

Unread 06-26-2017, 03:55 AM
Re: Hospital stay for daVinci hysterectomy /BSO w/lymph node dissection (return to fairly active on my feet job in 3 wee

Thanks everyone...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register