I'm new, too:o) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new, too:o) I'm new, too:o)

Unread 08-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm new, too:o)

Hello! I have to say I am very impressed w/ all of the info on this sight. I stumbled across it on accident, actually, but am glad i found it.
My situation seems to be a little different from most i've read about on here. i have no problems as far as endometriosis, cervical or ovarian cancer, fibroids or anything that would be your normal reason for having a hysterectomy. I am 36, and have had TIA's (mini-strokes), and due to that they have put me on Plavix, which is a blood thinner. My period in April and June were TERRIBLE. i was having to change my protection about every 10 to 15 minutes due to the bleeding being so heavy. They have put me on Provera, which seemed to help, but May was light also, and I wasn't on the Provera. Not sure if i just bleed so heavy one month that it just really light the following. This month should tell us that, I guess. But since at my age menopause could still be years away they have decided the best option for me is to just do a hysterectomy, and not have to worry about the excessive bleeding during my monthly cycle any more. The Plavix will be a life long medication for me now to hopefully prevent a major stroke. I have fears w/ having a hysterectomy for a few reasons. the first being i have to be off the Plavix for 7 days to get my bleeding back in line, increasing my risk of stroke, the second being that putting me to sleep increases my risk of stroke, and third, just the normal fear of surgery.
I was wondering if anyone has every had a hysterectomy done w/ an epidural versus general anesthesia? that kind of eliminates the increased risk of stroke by putting me out. Also, how long are you in the hospital, how long are you down afterwards? I have my appt. w/ my dr. next week to get this all set up. Not sure if it will be something they do quickly or if it'll be a while. I haven't gotten to ask him any of this yet, but thought you might be able to answer some of the questions for me since you've been through it.

Blessings to all,
Sunflour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 05:34 PM

i have read on this site there has been a few people who have had the epidural instead of the general and have done perfectly fine. I definately would consider that but u should be sure to discuss it with your doctor to see if it is possible. I am sorry to hear u have trouble with mini strokes and my heart goes out to u and having to take the Plavix is risky all in itself i know. my grandmother takes it. I hope you do well and i will have prayers sent your way. take care and God bless you.
Unread 08-04-2006, 08:00 AM

Thank You ) I see the doctor next week. My GP actually suggested the epidural, so hopefully, my gyn will be willing to consider that. Will keep you posted. Have an awesome weekend!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Hi sunflower
Welcome to Hystersisters! I'm sorry to hear of your situation. How frightening that must be for you. I was just wondering if your dr has mentioned the possiblity of an endometrial ablation as an option for you? Many women are able to avoid a hysterectomy by having them. The uterine lining is destroyed so there is hopefully no more bleeding or very little bleeding. It isn't an option for everyone, but I wanted to make sure you knew it was there just in case.
I imagine you have thoroughly discussed options with your dr, but if you are interested in asking questions about this or any others you could post in the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives forum for more information.
I wish you well and hope you can find answers that will resolve this bleeding and restore you to good health. Keep us posted.
's,Rita
Unread 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM

yes, he's mentioned that, and i see him on thursday this week. My hemot, my gp, and my neurologist all think a hysterectomy is the best option and i think he is in agreement w/ them. i have not gotten to see him since the other 3 have talked w/ him. we talked about my options when i saw him in June when i was hemorrhaging during my period, but we didn't really know what we were going to do at that point. it's all very confusing and frustrating. i feel like i have 4 dr's and i'm just kind of in the middle w/ them revolving around me. don't get me wrong, they all are wonderful and answer any questions i have but... So,we'll see what he says this week. i think they don't want to do the ablation because it is not a 100% guarantee that i will not ever bleed. Some women never do, some still do. i'm just hoping he can leave my ovaries. not ready for menopause really i have in the past had problems w/ cysts, but haven't for a while, they took out part of an ovary about 6 years ago, and that seemed to help. i'm hoping they are healthy looking and that he'll just leave them. will keep you posted. thank you for the suggestion.

Sunflour

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register