Any LIW on Lupron?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any LIW on Lupron?? Any LIW on Lupron??

Unread 08-21-2001, 09:29 AM
Any LIW on Lupron??

I've been on Lupron for about 7 months now for fibroids and have about 2 months to go. My last injection was a three month version.
I seems like I'm the only one on Lupron for so long!!!
I guess what I'm trying to find out is about ovary function after Lupron.
I will most likely need a TAV in December and am trying to decide whether to keep my ovaries or not. I know that I'm not alone making this decision. It seems like it's one of the toughest ones to make since there are such differing views.
I'm really not too concerned about the effects after my ovaries are removed as Lupron has given me a taste of them all.
I've had the headaches, hot flashes, mood swings etc. but I know that I will be able to start taking HRT soon to relieve them.
What I don't know, and it doesn't seem like anyone does, what are the odds of the ovaries returning to normal functioning after Lupron?
I've had ovarian cysts and my tubes removed because of them being twisted and covered with cysts. I think that if I keep my ovaries, the odds of the cysts coming back are pretty high.
I'm thinking that I should just have them removed but I'm so unsure.
Any advice will be most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2001, 12:39 PM
Any LIW on Lupron??

Hi Goldie,

I don't know much about Lupron myself, however, in addition to the replies you will receive here, you may want to do a search on the site, using Lupron as a keyword to bring up the threads where this has been discussed in the past.
I am hopeful you will find the information you are looking for!
All the best!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 08-21-2001, 04:29 PM
Lupron

I was on Lupron for 6 months. There is no doubt in my mind that my ovaries did start to function again. Nine months is a long time for Lupron. My dr. won't put anyone on it for more than 6 months. What does your Dr. say about it??

I have now had 2 Dr.s tell me that the surgical menopause I will experience is no worse, and probably not as bad, as the Lupron. It was when I went off the Lupron that I discovered that my quality of life was better on Lupron than off. That clinched it for me.

By the way, I am 37 with severe endo and having SAH/BSO in late Sept to early Oct. Because I have endo, keeping my ovaries was not recommended and I agree with the Drs. on this point.

Good Luck!!

Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2001, 10:16 PM
lupron

Lupron was one of the things we tried to get fibroids shrunk and bleeding in check. Followed it with Depo Provera. While I was on Lupron I definitely had menopausal symptoms, hot flashes, mood swings, insomnia, etc. The hot flashes disappeared after I finished Lupron. The mood swings/insomnia are another story, but ovaries definitely went back to work after the Lupron. Im scheduled for sah on Aug 27. Cant wait for it to be over. Not much help I know, but its my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
Unread 08-22-2001, 12:43 AM
Any LIW on Lupron??

Hi goldie,
I too was on Lupron and had the ovarian cycts and my told me if you have cycts and keep your ovaries they will come back. Do it now or do it later. I decided that I had been through enough and I was not gonna go through another surgery. If the cycts are gonna come back then I see no need to keep them. That is my view but of course you may want to ask some of the other sisters. I am 2 weeks post op and so glad I did this now. It is all worth it and I can't wait until I am back to my old self and feeling better than I have in years. Oh yea, the cycts had caused so much scar tisue and adhesions where they had ruptured that that was where my back pain was generally coming from. He said it was a mess and that my ovaries were not functioning anymore anyway so he said good call to take them. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Billie Jo
Unread 08-22-2001, 06:23 AM
Any LIW on Lupron??

Goldie,

I too am on Lupron. I am on it for shrinking fibroids, but my DR told me he never gives it for that reason for more than 2 months because in his opinion it doesn't reall work after that....I have no clue. But my experience with Lupron has not been a good one. I have been having horrible headaches for the last 2 weeks. I went for my second shot on 8/15 and told the nurse about the headaches, she in turn told one of the DRs, mine was in surgery, and all they said was, yeah that will happen with this med. Not the answer I was looking for. I woke up yesterday and could barely function because of yet another headache, this time I called my DR personally, I wouldn't get off the phone till he got on the phone. He said that no one had told him I was having problems with headaches and prescribed Midrin for them. I took a dose yesterday and feel much better.

As far as ovaries working after Lupron, that's a new one for me, I hope neither of us have any problems with that, but that is a new question for my pre op question list.

Tami
Unread 08-22-2001, 07:45 AM
Any LIW on Lupron??

I agree with a lot that Cat said. I was on Lupron also for endo so the best move was to remove my ovaries. I noticed that when the Lupron wore off before the next shot was due I would get endo pain back, hence my ovaries were producing estrogen again, so I assume they were working again. My dr. said we could do a 6 month round of it and wait a few months then do another 6 months but anymore was out of the question. I have never heard of anyone being on it for so long. Check the info on this site and others about long term use. My dr. also said that menopause would be the same if not better than when I was on lupron and she is right, I think it is better myself. I am only taking Estroven (herbal) and I am doing great. This is only my opinion though, I have had some friends try herbal without much luck. Good luck with your decisions.
Unread 08-22-2001, 06:51 PM
Thank you sisters!!!!

I can't thank you enough for all of your responses!! You have all helped so much!!
Maria, Thanks for the tip about the 'lupron' search. I'll be doing that now!!

Cat, I was so glad to hear what you said about the quality of life being better for you while on Lupron. Thats how I feel and I know once it starts wearing off, the decision for the hyst will be a no brainer!! I'll be following your posts to see how you're doing. I wish you all the luck in the world with your upcoming surgery!!

Janny6, Yes, your post was helpful. Just hearing that someone else is going thru the same thing helps. I was starting to feel like I was the only one!!! Good luck to you as well!!

BillieJo, Wow, your story sounds so similar to mine!! I really think I'm going to have the ovaries removed since I really don't want anymore surgery, if I can help it!!! That was my thinking, the cysts would come back and then I'd need more surgery!! No thank you!! How are you feeling?? I was told I'd probably need a TAH as well. Please rest and take care of yourself and thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Tami, I hear you about the headaches!!! I had some whoppers in the beginning. The first three months if I remember correctly!
But they've really lessened over the first three months. Someone suggested to me trying tylenol and nuprin/Advil and that really seemed to help for me. I was trying one or the other before and it wasn't working but the combination seems to work better. Don't ask me why!!! I'm sure you'd have to be sure that you're not sensitive to either before you'd try it but I thought, since it helped me, I'd mention it! Sorry to give to something else to add to your pre op question list but let me know if you find out anything! Lots of luck to you!!

Missy, My husband works with someone who was on Lupron for a year for endo and she did fine on it. My dr says that she hasn't had any long terms problems with patients in her practice. My husband and I were both very concerned about it but she'll be putting me on hrt in October and she said that her experience has been, any bone loss can be reversed from hrt. I certainly hope so!! I agree about menopause being better than the effects from Lupron! I was told that since its a chemically induced meno, the effects are more intense. So I think the hormone part of all this won't be a problem for me after Lupron!!
Lots of luck to you and thanks for your response!
Unread 08-22-2001, 08:59 PM
Any LIW on Lupron??

Hi Goldie,
I had the TAH/BSO on 8/7 and I just went for my 2 week check up and I am doing great. I feel better already than I have felt in months but like everyone else I still have a long recovery. I do not like being sick and my view was that I was not gonna do this again. I didn't even want to take the chance because I had so many adhesions and scar tissue from the previous ones and once my back started swelling I decided that was it. I was not gonna go through this anymore. I want my life back and had almost forgot what it was like to really laugh and feel great but I can already tell that I am headed that way and I am so excited looking forward to this. I know that you will be fine and you are gonna probably be like me and feel so relieved. Let me know how you are doing and I will be thinking of you.
Billie Jo
Unread 08-22-2001, 09:08 PM
Any LIW on Lupron??

Hi Goldie, I guess I am an "old" hystersister because I actually had my surgery almost 2 years ago. But once in a while I like to come back to visit and see if I can contribute in any way. I saw your post and thought I would tell you about my experience. I took Lupron for almost 2 years straight. I had such horrific endometriosis and I came to find that I couldn't go very long without taking the Lupron. The pain would return so quickly. However, I did use what they call "addback" therapy which was a small amount of estrogen (.03 Climara patch) Prometrium(natural progesterone) and a little bit of testosterone also. This kept me feeling healthy without any significant menopausal symptoms but also kept me pain free. I knew that in time I would need to decide to have a hysterectomy but it took me a while to accept my infertility and give up the fight I guess. I did have my hyst and am feeling great. I did have the ovaries removed and am now on HRT. Anyway, my quality of life was also better on Lupron than without before my hysterectomy. I did go off of it from time to time to see how my body would react and within just a few short weeks my ovaries would be up and working again. Lupron is an interesting drug. I know that I've talked to a few women who have had long term problems with Lupron after stopping it's use and these women's complaints should be taken seriously. But at the same time I think these women are in the minority and most women stop having side effects after stopping therapy. I hope this helps a little. If you have any ?'s let me know. Take care..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register