Will I have incontinence problems after TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I have incontinence problems after TVH? Will I have incontinence problems after TVH?

Unread 02-18-2002, 09:32 PM
Will I have incontinence problems after TVH?

I have heard stories of vaginal partial hysterectomies being done and then trouble with the bladder and incontinence begins. Further surgery is then needed.
I have read on this site of some recommendations that a sling be put in as it is simple even if there is no incontinence problem at this time. I am worried that the removal of my uterus is the beginning of a new problem. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 09:39 PM

Hi Kathy,

Hmmmm.....I don't have anything major, but I do have the typical big surprise sneeze leak sometimes . ( I also had that after having my baby) I do practice my Kegels now because my Dr. says my vaginal muscles are pretty weak, and that's what helps support your bladder, and everything else from future problems and possible prolapse. I didn't know about a sling as an option, you might want to check it out. I would recommend asking your Dr. and in the meantime, do what I never did enough of..PRACTICE your Kegels!!!!!

Good Luck, Kristy
Unread 02-18-2002, 11:31 PM

Hi Kathy, I can't speak for partial hyst. but I had a TVH/BSO, anterior & posterior repair and resuspension 2 weeks ago for a bad prolapse, cystocoele and rectocoele and one of my preop symptoms was stress incontinence - whenever I sneezed, coughed, laughed, etc... and already that's gone! You might want to ask your DR about the resuspension... that is done to prevent further prolapse after the hyst. Good luck and hugs to you!

- Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 11:37 PM
So Far...

I'm only 3 days post op, but I haven't had any problems. I asked my doctor about it before surgery and he said everything but my uterus was still stable. In fact, after my hyst, I haven't even had the stress incontinance I had before. I'm thinking taking out the prolapsed uterus, eased the stress on everything else. You should ask your doctor what he/she thinks. I would think if a sling or some other repair was needed they would have mentioned it. It's not much, but I hope it helps.
Kelkie(kelly)
Unread 02-19-2002, 04:53 AM

Dear Kathy,

Most docs are of the thinking *if it ain't broke, don't fix it*... The bladder can be a finicky thing. If you are having any stress incontinence, NOW is the time to discuss it with your doc.

All women (hysterectomy or not), should do daily kegel exercises. Here is a good link for more info on them:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=34986

I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register