Help - I am scared to death - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help - I am scared to death Help - I am scared to death

Unread 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Re: Help - I am scared to death

I was also 'scared to death' but my problem was a very extreme needle phobia. I took Xanax to get through the iv for the cat scan and having blood taken from my arm. It helped but not enough. A week before surgery I had a panic attack that lasted from 11pm to 3 am. Got up the next morning, thought I was okay but had to call my neighbor (friend and also a nurse) and could only get out the words "I'm in trouble". She came right over to help me breathe and insisted I take at least 1/2 a xanax. (I don't like taking it because if I take a whole one the entire day is shot). Every time I had to talk to medical person - doctor, nurses doing 'phone interviews', pre-op nurse from hospital I would completely lose it when anything related to needles came up. They all 'got' it. By Dr.'s nurse came up with the idea of a pick line and they were able to put it in while I was still out. Therefore I had no needles the 6 days I was in the hospital. Slept almost all the time for the first four days. Got up for the bathroom, to walk and took a couple of showers. They did away with constant pain meds in the iv on day 4. (still had morphine button). Day 5 I finally passed a little bit of gas and they let me start drinking something. I was up all day. Walked 40 minutes and was allowed to eat by evening. Gave me vicodin in the afternoon to see if I could tolerate it. Then took out pick line. Went home the next afternoon with no pain. I've napped for one hour in the two weeks I've been home. Walk a couple of miles everyday (until we got 12" of snow last night). I had a very large cyst removed (reason for hyst-but I had everything taken out). I hadn't been aware of it before. Maybe because of that I was 'skinnier' after and have been able to wear regular clothes (but then I always tend to wear comfy clothes anyway). I was also concerned about people poking around and looking at my 'private" areas LOL. They are so professional that I was able to ignore the fact that I didn't like it! Sorry this is so long but wanted you to know that others have the same 'scared to death' feelings and that some surgeries have very little pain. I think I have had less pain than many who had the less invasive surgeries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM

I really feel for you. I am in tomorrow morning for my pre op and surgery is on the 26. I am a mess but hope this will help in the end. I keep thinking of what it will be like to not have to worry about all the pain, bleeding and surgery to fix what they cannot find to fix. All those annoying and painful trips to the doctors and will soon be done with. I am so scarred as well with less than a week to go for surgery. You are very much not alone with all this. You found the right spot and tons of people here who will understand what you are going through
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Help - I am scared to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmillar1981 View Post
I really feel for you. I am in tomorrow morning for my pre op and surgery is on the 26. I am a mess but hope this will help in the end. I keep thinking of what it will be like to not have to worry about all the pain, bleeding and surgery to fix what they cannot find to fix. All those annoying and painful trips to the doctors and will soon be done with. I am so scarred as well with less than a week to go for surgery. You are very much not alone with all this. You found the right spot and tons of people here who will understand what you are going through
You wouldn't be normal if you weren't upset and scared. I cried like a baby at my first visit to the surgeon and cried entering the operating room.
I was we'll taken care of so take it from me "superwoman". Don't overdo I had a hard head and did steps the second day I came home. I cleaned week two. Nov 5 was my surgery date. Use ice on your belly REST and Nap Listen to your body. Get a small pillow and put it on your stomach when you cough.
Now I had to get a CT SCAN to see if I have scar tissue. REST REST REST! Listen to your doctor (don't be me) it takes longer to heal. Good luck!
Carole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM

I'm not a fan of a lot of drs poking around on me either but after 3surgeries in 3 yrs and having to have a sponge bath after my hys. There is no modesty left in me.

My hubby and I haven't been together in a long time either, thinking he's regretting leaving me alone for the days before my surgery. The pain and pressure is probably normal and I'm guessing here but reason for your surgery. If you are reading the post op progressions and all the other posts you are probably a little scared by now, but every person is different and so their experience. At first I thought solution was worse than the alt. but I'm 5wks post op and know that it was the right decision. My dr. questioned my decision to have it all removed incl. remaining ovary, but after pathology came back he reassured me that i made the right decision. you know your body and what feels right, dont doubt yourself or your decion.

Please make sure you follow ALL of your drs. Post op instructions, it makes all the diff. In your recovery.

As for your "brain fog" I'm guessing that the stress of your upcoming surgery, feeling like your alone, and the pain just has you distracted and probably a little bummed. I'm betting once you get this over with and get to feeling better you find that it lifts, it did for me. I had a three month wait before mine so I know it can be distracting.

Hope all goes well for you and as you can see you are not alone here. Your sisters will be here for you. We are just a post away.
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM

Hi kayden. I knew the down time might prove frustrating for me as well. So I spent some time leading up to my surgery getting my rooms ready in case I couldn't move about much. I made sure my room was set-up like a sanctuary (books, magazines, computer, etc.) and that the bathroom had everything I needed in there. I made lists of things that would need to be done, that I would not be able to do, so that they would not be forgotten, etc.

It felt like forever when I first got my surgery date, but now I am 4 days post-op.
Unread 12-21-2012, 05:42 AM

The waiting is definitely the worst! And it is perfectly normal to be scared. You are not alone my sister! Hugs!
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Thank you for all your kind comments and advice. I am doing my best to take everything in stride but I have to say that it has been one hell of a ride already and it is isn't over yet. There are days when I wonder how I am going to cope and yet somehow we all have to muster the strength to go on. I understand that everybody's experience is different and that everybody will have different results. My plan at this point is to try to be prepared, ask lots of questions and what I keep hearing from you guys is to rest. That one has never been one that I can do very well, but I will try. Thank you again.
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayden View Post
Thank you for all your kind comments and advice. I am doing my best to take everything in stride but I have to say that it has been one hell of a ride already and it is isn't over yet. There are days when I wonder how I am going to cope and yet somehow we all have to muster the strength to go on. I understand that everybody's experience is different and that everybody will have different results. My plan at this point is to try to be prepared, ask lots of questions and what I keep hearing from you guys is to rest. That one has never been one that I can do very well, but I will try. Thank you again.
I am a day over two weeks from having my operation and I feel great. I was up and walking the next day and have been moving ever since. I had just my uterus taken out by the davinci robot.
I drove a week later from the surgery and even traveled for the holidays. I will pray you have the same results. Keep your chin up!
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Help - I am scared to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96nathan View Post
I am a day over two weeks from having my operation and I feel great. I was up and walking the next day and have been moving ever since. I had just my uterus taken out by the davinci robot.
I drove a week later from the surgery and even traveled for the holidays. I will pray you have the same results. Keep your chin up!
Glad to hear! Rest as much as possible take your meds and take care if YOU!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register