I had a fall a week post hysterectomy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I had a fall a week post hysterectomy! I had a fall a week post hysterectomy!

Unread 08-21-2016, 04:36 PM
I had a fall a week post hysterectomy!

Hi! One week and a day after I had my hysterectomy, I tripped and fell over one of my daughter's toys. I was on the phone at the time. I had gotten a call from a friend because it was my daughter's birthday and we were having a few people over for cake. I got up to leave the room because the kids were being loud and I tripped and was sent sprawling into the arm of the sofa nose first (ouch!). I'm very sore now all over and am worried I might have done something to myself.

My first week home has been rough. I did so well in the hospital and since I've been home, everyone has expected me to go back to all my normal duties pretty much. I have 3 children still living at home (my oldest is a sophomore in college 2 hours away) and I have a 17yo son and a 15 yo son. My daughter turned 9 on Friday. The boys and my daughter have been fairly helpful, but they have no real understanding of what I am going through and they're so used to me going and doing all the time. So am I, actually. Laying around and resting has been extremely difficult for me. I feel so guilty asking for help, mostly because I've always had to take care of myself and everyone else even since I was about 5 years old. My mom suffered from depression and could/would not even get out of bed most days, so I was left to fend for myself. Anyway, I've been used to always pushing through the pain and just doing stuff anyway. This time, though, I started out doing too much and I'm already paying for it. I am completely exhausted and now I have had this fall on top of everything else! This has been an emotional roller coaster ride for me so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Re: I had a fall a week after!

Hi there! I'm sending you a big hug! It sounds like your fall likely didn't damage anything, since you are feeling a bit sore, versus being in pain. With the fall, I'm sure your body was trying to brace for impact and this is why all the soreness. If you are experiencing any pain that pain meds cannot handle or bleeding where you are filling a maxi pad in under an hour, a trip to urgent care or ER is in order. To be safe and give you peace of mind, it might be worth a call to the drs office tomorrow to let them know so they can ask questions and decide whether you need to go into the office to be examined.

As to letting others help, I'm sure you've heard that you want to make sure you heal right the first time. Try not to do housework that requires too much bending, twisting, pushing or pulling as you are still fairly early in recovery. Believe me, I had a hard time watching those dust bunnies full of dog hair roll by me and the dishes piling up, but I did because I didn't want to experience any setbacks. When else will you have the excuse to sit back and have others help you around the house. Although your kids do not have a complete understanding, it sounds like they are being helpful when you ask. Let them help out a bit more around the house.

Best wishes for your rest of your recovery!
Unread 08-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Re: I had a fall a week after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleo74 View Post
Hi! One week and a day after I had my hysterectomy, I tripped and fell over one of my daughter's toys. I was on the phone at the time. I had gotten a call from a friend because it was my daughter's birthday and we were having a few people over for cake. I got up to leave the room because the kids were being loud and I tripped and was sent sprawling into the arm of the sofa nose first (ouch!). I'm very sore now all over and am worried I might have done something to myself.

My first week home has been rough. I did so well in the hospital and since I've been home, everyone has expected me to go back to all my normal duties pretty much. I have 3 children still living at home (my oldest is a sophomore in college 2 hours away) and I have a 17yo son and a 15 yo son. My daughter turned 9 on Friday. The boys and my daughter have been fairly helpful, but they have no real understanding of what I am going through and they're so used to me going and doing all the time. So am I, actually. Laying around and resting has been extremely difficult for me. I feel so guilty asking for help, mostly because I've always had to take care of myself and everyone else even since I was about 5 years old. My mom suffered from depression and could/would not even get out of bed most days, so I was left to fend for myself. Anyway, I've been used to always pushing through the pain and just doing stuff anyway. This time, though, I started out doing too much and I'm already paying for it. I am completely exhausted and now I have had this fall on top of everything else! This has been an emotional roller coaster ride for me so far.
Ouchy! Take a pain pill, grab an ice pack & put your feet up. Your kids can and will figure it out. Mine are not accustomed to seeing me lay around either, but have stepped up. Please watch for any spotting, bleeding, incision trouble, temp..... and don't be afraid to call your Dr - even the one on call on a Sunday night! Let us know how you are doing - HUGS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM
I had a fall a week post hysterectomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleo74 View Post

Hi,

Sorry to hear you had a fall. Id use ice packs, if you can take ibrophrophen bc its antinflammatory...Rest. If you have a lot of pain, or bleeding, then put a call into your Dr...

Youll probably be sore, feel fatigue for a few days & swelling. Ice packs, then heat pad is soothing for pain. Fatigue is normal, your body is recovering from a big surgery. If ovaries not functioning or removed, reduced estrogen contributes to fatigue.

Youre going to have to put your blinders on around the house bc attending to the house is a sure-fire way of having a setback. Trust me, the house will wait for you. This recovery is hard on all of us. We're not used to sitting around & doing nothing.

I told my kids bf surgery that I need them to help out. Just explain to tgem you have restrictions for a whike & it will take time. Im sure you prefer to do things but your kids can chip in..they can pick up after themselves, do some wiping kitchen table & counters, dishes, laundry, quick duster, run vaccum.. Prepare sandwiches.. Your not expecting a cleaning crew, just what ever they can chip in. Later, we took the kids out to thank them for their support & gave a gift card.

Rest from your fall for a few days, but walking is good. When you feel better, its possible to wipe counters w out twisting & bending. Washing dishes again w out bending. Then I used to rest vs doing everything at once.. The way i did laundry, I walked a few items at a time to the washer & made many trips bc walkIng is good to do. Just dont lift a laundry basket. When laundry was finished, I walked a few items at a time to my closet.

So, no more stunt woman for a bit. Rest up. I hope you feel better! 🌹

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register