Is six weeks long enough to be off? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is six weeks long enough to be off? Is six weeks long enough to be off?

Unread 03-17-2001, 04:59 AM
Is six weeks long enough to be off?

I was wondering when I put in for six week medical leave at my job if it will be long enough. My job is a physically demanding one. I am a cashier at a local grocery store. I spend a minimum of four hours straight (until break time), on my feet, lifting and scanning groceries along with bagging them and also trying to squeeze in between customer's cart behind me in order to place my customer's bags into their cart. There are no half days or light duty at my job that they will schedule for anyone so I have to be sure I can do the job before I show up and I need to know in advance to let them know.
I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO in April 16. Anyone who has already been through it, do you have any suggestions?
Am I possibly thinking the worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2001, 06:28 AM
Wow, decisions, decisions

Hi Retta

Recovery is SO individual! But most women seem to be able to go back to work in six weeks, even though they may be sore and tired at the end of the day. I guess that's why the standard recovery time is given as six weeks. If you wanted to be on the safe side, especially because your job requires you to be on your feet for so long, you could opt for 8 weeks if that is possible. Of course there are women who have gone back to work much earlier, too, so there's no way of telling just exactly how you are going to be feeling at any given point after surgery. You just have to make your best guess, depending on how much surgery you're having done and what kind of shape you're in now and what you think your ability to recovery is. Good luck on this one!
Unread 03-17-2001, 07:47 AM
Check with your DR.

I went back at about 4 1/2 weeks post. But, my job doe not require me to do much lifting at all. Except getting my coffee cup to my lips I am a high school teacher and usually stand to lecture - I sat on a tall stool for the first three or four days. That really seemed to help. Like Arctic said, each recovery is very different. You will just have to see how you do.

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2001, 11:39 AM

Just keep your employers or HR person at work informed about your progress and make sure your doctor knows what kind of work you do.

My doctor released me for work at six weeks, but I am not allowed to lift more than 12 pounds or push heavy carts etc. It's all individual. Make sure you get any restrictions from your doctor in writting and make sure your work knows almost as soon as you do, so if you have take more time off, or go back part-time at first or have to be on restricted duty they are not surprised.
Unread 03-17-2001, 12:59 PM

I was off work for 7 1/2 weeks. I have an office job which requires sitting and some filing.

My doctor said that I could take up to 8 weeks.

I would check with Human Resources or your personnel office to see what you are intitled to. Also talk with your doctor.

Take care and good luck

Jerry
Unread 03-17-2001, 05:51 PM

I was ok at 6 weeks but stayed home for 8. It let me be home feeling better. I would ask if you could have a tall stool to sit/lean against for awhile. SIT or LAY down on your breaks. The lifting WILL be a problem. I was told nothing over 20 for atleast 10 weeks. BE CAREFUL. If you can take the extra time off, you only have one time to heal right.

Janet
TVH 1-13-00

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register