Scheduled SAH Another Question...keep Cervix or not. - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Question...keep Cervix or not. Another Question...keep Cervix or not.

Unread 09-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Re: Another Question...keep Cervix or not.

My Dr. acted like I was crazy when I asked him if I should keep my cervix or not. He said something like 'what would be the point' and I think he said something along the lines of 'he would have to suture it to my abdomen'... I may have misunderstood and I do have third degree uterine prolapse so that may make a difference, I'm not sure, but I definately didn't really get a choice in the matter. I think in the grand scheme of things we all have to do what we think is best and pray for good results. In the end you make the best of whatever happens as it is truly out of our hands at some point.

I love all the posts and info, it is so helpful!

Thank you ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2010, 10:56 PM

Thank you so much for asking this question.
I am currently debating the same thing.

Doctor said she would take it out (for the above mentioned reasons: periods, smears etc.), but would ultimatetively leave it to me, as I never had a problem PAP or anything.....

Well, at this point I was more leaning towards keeping it...but some of the thoughts here keep me thinking to.....

That's why I am here, to do my homework!!!

All the best to you!!!
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:37 AM

I am so glad to hear that about removing the cervix , I realize everyone is different but I seem to read that removing the crevix for most people hasn't made a difference . If not it is better! My Dr. didn't give me a choice really. I suppose if I would have pushed the issue it may have been different, but with all that is going on inside me, I would rather it just go.
Oh how I can't wait for pain free sex! It has been many years of pain. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
Thanks ya'll for all the great advice. Good luck to you all trying to make up your minds. It isn't an easy decision.
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:02 AM

I think it also depends on what kind of surgery you have. I had a vaginal (TVH) and I think the cervix is always removed with this surgery method. I wanted the TVH because I did not want any external incisions.

I asked my doc about prolapse and he said if things are going to slip, they are going to slip- cervix or not! He then proceeded to tell me that my vagina and cervix are already lower than they should be- great. He said that this was from vaginally delivering a baby and gravity.

I can't chime in regarding sex because I'm only 2 weeks post op.

Good luck to you all!
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM

I went for my second opinion on Friday and that Doctor almost insisted in taking it out.
She said she had so many cases, where it was not removed and she was then was the one who had to remove it, it is better to take it our right away.
I was leaning toward keeping it, but I trust this doctor so much more....hmmmm....
I asked about lubrication and she said that most Women in their fourties need some sort of additional lubricant anyways (I never had to use one...)
She also said it is a myth that keeping it will help the bladder not to slip ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register