Whadda mean Jello | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whadda mean Jello Whadda mean Jello

Unread 03-17-2001, 09:47 PM
Whadda mean Jello

I 've been reading about the jello thing. Do you mean you don't get to eat real food while you are there?

Every other time I spent the night in the castle was just for babies. Once, when I didn't like my choices I called and ordered a pizza. Nurses were't real happy with me since it smelled up the floor and the other patients wanted what I had!

My other endo surgeries were outpatient. They always just served me "tea and toast" then sent me home as soon as I peed.

I can't handle the no food thing! And I hate most jello!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Whadda mean Jello

Hi Barb,

I got to my room at 11PM, so didn't have anything until breakfast the next day. Breakfast and lunch was soup broth, coffee, cranberry juice. My dr came in and said I may go home the next day, and for some reason I told him I wanted to be on real food before I go. I don't know why that was an issue with me, but he did order a regular house diet and told me to eat as much as I could. I couldn't eat much, but at least I knew I could tolerate normal food before I left the hospital. I didn't go home until the 3rd day, so had "real food" for three meals.
Unread 03-17-2001, 10:30 PM
Whadda mean Jello

Barb,

You will most likely be on a bland diet for the first couple of meals. Like EM, I had the cranberry juice and broth.

Remember that this is major surgery. Your bowels and bladder will be moved around. I don't think that I could have handled pizza after my surgery. The gas pains may have made me explode!

The "real" food during my hospital stay was actually quite good. Wait until one of the hostesses shares her story about her food!

Hugs and Blessings,
Lola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2001, 04:33 AM
Your bowels, your bowels

Hi Barb

What you are given to eat depends on the activity of your bowels. They are usually pretty sleepy at first, so somebody will keep coming around with a stethoscope and listen for bowel sounds. Until you get some you may only get ice chips. I had to wait until I had bowel sounds on both sides and was passing gas before clear liquids were even allowed. As your bowels get more active, you can eat more.
Unread 03-18-2001, 06:10 AM
Whadda mean Jello

HI The first day I was in the hospital, I had nothing by mouth. They did give me ice chips, but I didn't even want that. I was dry heaving for 8 hours after surgery. They gave me 3 shots to stop it. It finally worked! I had the block and sometimes they say it trickles over to the nausea part of your brain. So they had to reverse some of it to stop the nausea. But the next morning I was starving!! The Dr. came in really early and said I could have anything I wanted. I ate a pancake and a piece of bacon, boy was it good! Just be careful not to over do it when you can eat. I wanted Dorritos so bad! I came home and ate a few of them and it made the gas really x-treme for a few hours. I'm 1 week post op and I find myself watching everthing I eat. Good luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register