How do I know if my vaginal cuff has healed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I know if my vaginal cuff has healed? How do I know if my vaginal cuff has healed?

Unread 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
How do I know if my vaginal cuff has healed?

When i saw my ob/gyn this past monday, I was 1 day short of 7 weeks post-op, he didnt even examine me, I had an exam at the er the previous saturday due to pain, and I didnt even ask that physician what he saw (stitches healed or not)
Anyway, my ob/gyn cleared me for sex when I was ready, BUT, my fear is he didnt even look, is that right?

My dh and I talked about having sex this weekend but I keep thinking how do I really know my cuff has healed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM

katiekatlyn, I saw my gyno today for my 4 week post op. He DID do an internal exam and told me my cuff has not yet healed completely. In spite of that he gave me the ok to have sex in 2 more weeks--if I was up for it.

I would think that if you aren't in any pain, have the desire and take it slowly you'll be ok. Believe me, the thought of having sex right now is far, far from my mind because I'm not feeling like everything is healed down there yet. Today's exam proved it.

Good luck!
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:13 PM

My DR checked mine at 2 weeks and 6. She told me that my cuff had healed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Linda, if you find out a way to know if we're healed (besides going back to the Dr and him having a look), please let me know for future reference! I'm not sure if I'm going to ask my Dr to look or have a feel or what, but I really want to know that I'm actually healed before DH and I try anything.

I hadn't realized how scary post op sex would be before the surgery... It's only 10 days post op for me, but looking toward the future- I'm worried.
Unread 01-15-2009, 11:24 PM

My doc chose not to look at my 2 week...I guess the look on my face when he talked about it changed his mind...he said I was still really swollen and sore so whay don't I take it easy and come back in 2 weeks and we will look. Sex...yikes, the way I feel I am so not ready and don't think I will be in a few weeks...but, I was not quick to jump back into that after childbirth so I am not surprized at how I feel about it. Luckily, DH is good with that stuff.

TAH 12/29
Unread 01-16-2009, 05:18 AM

i think a dr that doesnt examine basically goes by how youre feeling. if you were spotting, bleeding, had pain, etc..he would probably examine you. if you arent, he assumes youve healed and goes by the 6 weeks it usually takes to heal. i think i'd rather be examined and given the okay though.
Unread 01-16-2009, 06:58 AM

I had my 4 week post op yesterday and was told to wait 2 more weeks before sex or bath! Sex I dont mind, but bath, I really wanted one last night! The sex, I am REALLY upset with DH and Although it has been since Oct (b/c of bleeding and then surgery) I really dont care to do it with him, at this point. And I dont think 2 weeks will fix the riff between us!

Sorry to vent. My doc said everything looked ok. I had an exam at 5 days and she said everything looked ok then also. Good luck ladies!
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Wacky one, I am so sorry to see that you 2nd honeymoon has been cancelled. You are not alone, my DH got his feeling hurt....HA...because I told him he was being Mean 2 days post op...he started giving me hell for not returning a friends call...WHAT???? .....believe me, he cared WAY more than my friend....anyhoo, it has turned into a "thing" ...and will not be forgotten....and, will be dealt with when I am feeling better...yesterday my gyn (male) told me Not to wait until I feel better but to deal with it today...unexpected advice.

Anyhoo, hang in there....and why does god give us the job of bearing children? Because we are stronger! I believe that wholeheartidly. This to will pass.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register