Can't concentrate | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't concentrate Can't concentrate

Unread 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Can't concentrate

I'm 5 days post-op, am on the Climara .1 patch. I have a book that I started pre-op and just can't concentrate long enough to read. Is this due to the surgery, estrogen patch, or something else? I also sometimes feel like I'm in a brain fog, often losing my train of thought or searching for the correct word. I am not on narcotics.

Has anyone else gone through this? Will it improve with time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Re: Can't concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBirds View Post
I'm 5 days post-op, am on the Climara .1 patch. I have a book that I started pre-op and just can't concentrate long enough to read. Is this due to the surgery, estrogen patch, or something else? I also sometimes feel like I'm in a brain fog, often losing my train of thought or searching for the correct word. I am not on narcotics.

Has anyone else gone through this? Will it improve with time?
Hi Gail,
I am 5 months post op and still have concentration problems..I used to love reading..lucky if I can manage sections of the newspaper now! This lack of concentation is a menopause symptom..I guess it will improve over time..I hope!!
The brain fog does get better..I had it too but it went away after about 8 weeks or so..hang in there it will get better!
Heal well!
Unread 11-03-2010, 05:26 AM

Hi!!
It could be just from the surgery itself - from the anethesia as well as your body going into healing mode. Before my surgery I bought a bunch of magazines and had books (I also love to read) and they sat next to me for about 2 weeks before I picked anything up to read. I felt like I was in a fog - even concentrating on TV seemed hard. Give yourself a little time. I had thought I'd be scrapboooking and reading, and puttering around the house during recovery - boy was I wrong! It took about 4 weeks for me to feel like I was returning to the living world. It does get better, just takes a lot of patience. Take care!! Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Melanie---

you sound exactly like me... 3 1/2 weeks post op, i'm just now starting to pick up those books. Funny you mentioned scrapping... pre-surgery, I had visions of me getting all kinds of stuff done in my albums... well.. I just got the stuff out this morning for the first time to take a look at it....

it is strange how it has taken so long to feel like doing stuff like this again.... i told my DH that just when I start feeling up to doing stuff, it'll be time to go back to work... and it will :-( oh well... at least we are healing and getting better each day, right? That is most important.
Unread 11-03-2010, 07:35 AM

Hi --
Beth-Yeah - I didn't get into my scrapbook/craft room until a few days before I returned to work..I was very frustrated about that. I have a really nice cushy chair that I can lower and raise - my table is high- the first day I sat on it for more than an hour I regretted it - it hurt and made me feel really sore. You and I have talked about all the other issues - I was pretty down and miserable that even the joy of scrapbooking seemed not so joyful!!
I used to wonder where the days went - I am normally a very active person - I'd roll out of bed around 8, finally get in the shower around 11 - and then it was lunchtime..my kids would come home at 2:30 from school and I'd be zoning out on the couch watching TLC. I started being a little fearful of the couch potato I seemed to be turning into -- but once my head cleared and I could move around more the desire to plop on the couch disappeared completely.
I am actually amazed at the amount of energy I feel now and how mentally I feel like a totally different person. Now my mind is clear, and it no longer feels crammed with feelings of worry and despair of how to deal with pain 24/7.
Looking back, its probably a good thing that the first several weeks your body feels like its shut down - its giving you time to heal the way you are meant to..
Hugs to everyone!!
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM

Yes... I wonder every day where the hours went and feel miserable cause I hardly did anything except maybe the dishes, take a shower and straighten the house. I, too, am used to being active (I work full time and have a 7 year old). it is so true that it is probably good that we don't feel like doing anything the first few weeks.

I am just so thankful to have this site to come to and "commiserate" with other women that know exactly what I'm going through!!!

Thank you to everyone!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register