Aches and pains post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Aches and pains post-op Aches and pains post-op

Unread 08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Aches and pains post-op

Hey ladies. I had an abdominal hysterectomy and also a rectecele and cyctecele repaired at the same time. The surgery went well and I was released with a catheter because I was leaving too much urine behind after I urinated. I went to the doctor Friday and she removed the catheter. Well, last night I noticed I felt the urge to urinate even though I didn't have to go, and then this morning I had a foul smelling urine. So, I am off to the doctor again tomorrow to check for a UTI. I am also having trouble with bowel movements. It feels like I can't push down, like my muscles don't work anymore. Did anyone have trouble like this? I am very concerned because the stool is right there and I still can't push it out. I am still taking pain pills because I am still having pain, and I can't take motrin due to motrin just burning my stomach. But, I only take 1 lortab with 1 tylenol when I was taking 2 lortabs. I kept my ovaries, but have also noticed I have been hot and sweaty for 2 days now. I can't seem to cool down. Does this mean I am in menopause? I am pretty miserable right now and have felt a little depressed. I also was a heavy smoker before my hysterectomy, but haven't smoked a cigarette since my surgery and I really want to smoke, but know I just need to not smoke so I can get over it. Sorry, so many questions, I just never knew I would spend hours everyday worrying about my bodily functions. LOL Thanks, Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Aches and pains post-op

Hi Tracy,

I know what you mean about never realizing you would spend so much time thinking about bodily functions. You had a lot of work done in that very sensitive area. I don't think it is too unusual for you to be having some problems feeling the sensations normally. Are you taking stool softeners? They helped me a lot. They don't work like a laxative, but just keep the stool soft so it is easier to pass. Sorry for the . This stuff just has to be said plainly.
I kept my ovaries too and found that for the first few weeks especially they were just in shock or resting cause they weren't doing much for me. I also had the hot flashes and real brain fog. It did get better with time. We're all different with this so you'll just have to see what happens.
Since you're going to the dr tomorrow anyway I hope you'll mention all this and get his/her opinion. It's always best to find out what your dr thinks is best for you. I hope you will feel better soon. Let us know what you find out tomorrow.

's, Rita
Unread 08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Aches and pains post-op

Tracy,
please mention these symptoms to your Dr. I suspect it is inflammation that is causing some of your sensations. Our minds are powerful tools, and if you are too worried about passing your bowels and such you can actually slow the process down! (crazy eh? ) try to relax, things will ease off, you are still so early post op. Ask your Dr if you could benefit with an anti-inflammatory (ie: advil) it will help with the swelling. Hang in there, life does get so much better, just don't rush things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Aches and pains post-op

I noticed you had a rectocele repair. Did they teach you the way to apply pressure to the perineal area which can help you move your bowels with rectocele issues. In fact there is a thread on here dealing with rectoceles and the proper splinting technique. The thread is titled "I need help pooping" , should be able to answer any questions you have about the rectocele. Good luck!
Unread 08-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Aches and pains post-op

I was having trouble with my bowels after my hyst and here's a few things that worked for me (other than the stool softeners)
Hot shower right before I try to "go"
Drinking hot tea
Heating pad on my belly
Don't know exactly why but the heat seems to help move things along.
You said you can't take the ibuprofen... neither can I. I have an ulcer and Advil, Motrin anything with ibuprofen makes it bleed. The Lortab has acetaminophen in it ~ the same thing as Tylenol. If you haven't yet, I would ask your DR if it's safe for you to take so much acetaminophen at once. It can do really nasty things to your liver. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register