Sleepy Ovaries? What are they? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleepy Ovaries? What are they? Sleepy Ovaries? What are they?

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Sleepy Ovaries? What are they?

Hello Fellow Sisters,

I've been hearing bits and pieces about "Sleepy Ovaries." I'm about 1 1/2 weeks post-op and have been an emotional wreck, I've been craving chocolate (which I rarely do), and have had a terrible lack of patience at times.

Could someone explain what Sleepy Ovaries are, and if they could be playing a part in my unpredictable demeanor? I'm not perfect, but this is not the usual my usual personality or emotional state for the most part.

I was able to keep 1 1/2 ovaries post-op. If anyone could provide me with any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

All the best to my fellow recovering sisters!

Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM

My ovaries have been sleepy. Between the surgery trauma and anesthesia sometimes the ovaries stop functioning fully or at all. This should be temporary but in the meantime mood swings and hot flashes might happen because they are not producing estrogen hormones. If its bad tell your doc and they can prescribe something to get u thru it. Good luck and hope that helps
  Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyluna View Post
Hello Fellow Sisters,

I've been hearing bits and pieces about "Sleepy Ovaries." I'm about 1 1/2 weeks post-op and have been an emotional wreck, I've been craving chocolate (which I rarely do), and have had a terrible lack of patience at times.

Could someone explain what Sleepy Ovaries are, and if they could be playing a part in my unpredictable demeanor? I'm not perfect, but this is not the usual my usual personality or emotional state for the most part.

I was able to keep 1 1/2 ovaries post-op. If anyone could provide me with any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

All the best to my fellow recovering sisters!

Luna
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Re: Sleepy Ovaries? What are they?

I like the term "sleepy ovaries". I hope that the following helps explain why this happens.

Most of the time, the blood supply to the ovaries gets disrupted during a hysterectomy. This diagram explains how the blood supply to the uterus and ovaries can differ for various women. According to the info in the diagram, 56% of women have their ovaries get their blood supply from both the uterine and ovarian arteries. 40% of women have the blood supply come from the ovarian artery only and 4% get the blood supply to their ovary from the uterine artery only. During surgery, the uterine artery is cut so you can see how the blood supply gets disrupted. For the 4% that have only the uterine artery providing the blood supply, it would logically seem that if that blood supply gets cut off, then the ovary would stop functioning. And for the other 56%, it would take time for the ovary to get used to have only part of its blood supply. I would assume that the 40% would be the ones feeling the least of the effects. I am not a doctor but I think that my assumptions make sense when one views the diagram.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM

My surgeon says it can take a while for the ovaries to wake up fully after surgery and he recommended that I didn't pursue any treatment for any menopausal symptoms until this has all had a chance to settle down. He was concerned that any sort of hormone treatment could affect any natural progression of the ovaries.

I feel fairly normal but I have had one hot flush (which could also have coincided with my "period") and my moods have been a bit iffy - probably not helped when I get tired.

Hope you feel better soon x
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Wow! Thank you, Sisters

The responses that I have received from you all have been very helpful, informative, and supportive! This particular issue, which seems as though it might be helpful to know before surgery, was a complete surprise to me post-op.

Now, having this knowledge and knowing others' perspective and experiences, I realize I'm not alone in my internal feelings of unpredictability and the odd strange (different) physical feelings.

So, I really want to let you know how much I appreciate reading, looking at the diagram, receiving support, and having a place where I know I can ask a question answered without being judged. I don't know what I'd do without this site or my HysterSisters!

Have a wonderful weekend, Sisters
Luna
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM

How lond they say it would take for the ovaries to wake up?
This might explain my insomnia as it can be a menopause symptom
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvy72 View Post
How lond they say it would take for the ovaries to wake up?
This might explain my insomnia as it can be a menopause symptom
Hello, I don't think there was a clear timescale but my surgeon mentioned a few months as a possibility. He certainly said don't seek any hormone treatment for a good few months and see how things settle down.
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Wow that explains alot...im 2weeks out from surgery. My emotions have been a horrific roller coaster ride, crying and not being able to stop..... Up all night and all day...im exausted. I did call the Dr and they told me to come in for blood work so they can check hormone levels I guess......If thats not it then Im sure Im losing my mind.....This has been terrible.
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:15 PM

I have been having symptoms also but decided not to take hormones because I don't want my ovary to stay "sleepy" forever. However, my PAC was telling me that I will go into menopause early since I only have one ovary and that peri-menopause can last 5 -12 years which means I can be starting it anytime. WTH? I thought I would avoid all that until I was well into my 40s. I am keeping my fingers crossed and in the meantime I am eating a small amount of chocolate everyday.
Unread 10-07-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by September19 View Post
I have been having symptoms also but decided not to take hormones because I don't want my ovary to stay "sleepy" forever. However, my PAC was telling me that I will go into menopause early since I only have one ovary and that peri-menopause can last 5 -12 years which means I can be starting it anytime. WTH? I thought I would avoid all that until I was well into my 40s. I am keeping my fingers crossed and in the meantime I am eating a small amount of chocolate everyday.
Hi September19 - this is SO not what I was told!!! I was told that the other ovary will compensate and I won't have menopause til later - normal time. That is why I kept one as they had considered taking both but GYN said he didn't want me on HRT for 15-20 years. I am 40.
There were two Consultants there for this conversation (I work with them that's why there were two) so it was like having a second opinion and they agreed it was the best way to stop early menopause. I REALLY trust these consultants... Perhaps it's with talking to the Drs again?
I am not sure why chocolate everyday - but I like it think I will start right now!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register