1 week post hysterectomy: Gas or something else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post hysterectomy: Gas or something else? 1 week post hysterectomy: Gas or something else?

Unread 12-09-2016, 07:45 AM
1 week post hysterectomy: Gas or something else?

MyTLH was a week ago today. I have a pain up under my right rib cage that I think is gas. Is it common to still have problems with gas after a week? Having bm's has been an issue too so I decided to up my fiber, but think I may have overdone it with vegies that can cause gas. I'm just worried that this pain is from something more serious, but not sure what that would be......It sometimes hurts to take a deep breath. Thank you for your help~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Re: Gas or something else?

CO2 gas pains supposedly last a few days - I don't know if that means 2-3 or 7-8. Under the ribs does sound like CO2 pains. Try GasX, and a heating pad. Walking will also help, even if it's just to the mailbox or up the street.

Bowels are indeed sluggish after surgery, and that's a likely culprit since you're still having issues with that - I had to actively manage my digestive system for 7 weeks at least. Even though I was making BMs daily, I still had churnings, rumblings and gas pains, oh my. Foods high in fiber and magnesium help like dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, whole grains (including cereals like Fiber One), fruits (dried, fresh or frozen in smoothies), avocados, prune juice and enough water to swamp a canoe so that it all flows. Walking helps there, too. Cut back on highly processed foods which are harder to digest, and yes, avoid the gas producing foods like broccoli, asparagus, beans and peas, starchy foods. Even though fiber foods are on the gas-list, I still recommend those for regular bowel movements.

I'd like to invite you to check out the Recovery Thread for Nov 28-Dec 04 to connect with Sisters who had surgery the same week as you.

Unread 12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Re: Gas or something else?

Thank you for your reply!! Good to know the gas and rumblings can last awhile. The pain has left from under my rib cage and is lower now, so at least I know for sure that's what it was. Thank you for all the good advice. I have been walking a lot....may have overdone that in the last day and a half, but I need to increase my water intake so I'll make that a priority.My heating pad has been my best friend since I came home from surgery and I'm taking GasX too. Thank you for the food suggestions as well. I appreciate it very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2016, 04:55 AM
1 week post hysterectomy: Gas or something else?

In addition to the foods Cussette mentioned, other gassy foods include onions and garlic, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Also try some peppermint or ginger tea, or fennel seeds, which act as carminatives, breaking up the gas, so it's easier to expel. For constipation, my favourite smoothie recipe includes almond milk, cherries, spinach, cherries, and ground flaxseeds. Dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds are also excellent sources of magnesium. If you are increasing your fibre intake, do it slowly, and try spreading your intake over the course of the day, because too much all at once can cause gas. Also try massaging your abdomen, starting at the right hip, moving up to the waist, across your belly button to the left side, then down and across, back to the starting point; this follows the path of your colon, and should help to move everything through. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon, so you can get rid of that pesky gas!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register