Peace Lily | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Peace Lily

I am having my surgery Friday October 28th. 7 days to go!! I have had my hospital pre-op..yesterday i had my pre-op check up at my doctors. Everything is good to go!! I got a bladder infection last week...but the anti-biotics cleared that up. Just before my doctor's appt. for the pre op i got sick again. I had the flu. I feel better today. The doctor just said to keep drinking lots of water to flush it out of my system. I am having an epidural. I just found out that when you have an epidural for the surgery ...YOU ARE AWAKE!!!!!!! I hope they give me something to make me "out of it" during the surgery. I really don't want to see whats going on. I am a PSW. I care for people coming home from the hospital. I can stand other people's blood...BUT NOT MINE!! I get dizzy just from cutting my finger!! The anethetist assured me that the epidural is left in and the nurses top me up ..so he said i would have no pain. Sounds good to me!! I go in next Friday and am out on Monday. I am also having a bladder tuck. I would have liked to have the tape procedure done..but it costs $700.00!! So i am doing it the old way. AND my hospital doesn't do taping ...i would have to go somewhere else. I am having my uterus out and my bladder done. No more 2 month long periods and no more pads for incontinence!!! I can't wait for this to be over. My husband has to go to a conference in Florida..Orlando...for a week..he is supposed to leave Saturday from Toronto. His work said they are good to go...but from the news ..Hurricane WIlma is supposed to hit Floriday on Sunday. I heard all flights are cancelled into Florida. IF..he goes..he will not get back until the day of my surgery. IF HE CAN GET A FLIGHT HOME!! He is stubborn and won't listen. Men can be so...frustrating!!! He will have to sneak in after the 8:00 visiting hours are over. He wanted me to cancel the surgery until he was home. They already cancelled me once...Oct. 7th. But i want to get it over with. My friend is taking me to the hospital Friday morning and my son and daughter will bring my bag after the surgery.
Does anyone know if you have a catheter in when you come home after having the bladder tuck???
My ovaries are being left in!! I am going to tape a note on my belly to remind the surgeon to leave them in!! I just might!! I have pre cancerous cells in my breasts so taking my ovaries out is not a good idea. I can't take hormones because the estrogen could turn the pre cancerous cells into cancer. So if anyone has any answers to my questions...i would really appreciate it.
I am getting a little nervous...it doesn't help watching the weather channel to see if my hubby is going to end up in a hurricane!!
Take care everyone!!
Peace Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
surgery

Hi, I am also having surgery on the 28th. I had my pre-op yesterday also. I am having a TVH,TVT(bladder sling), rectocele repair and a BSO. I am also having the epidural. They are giving me a general anethestic(SP?) also. I was told on the cath. that it depended on if you can pee ok. Then you will not have to have the cath. go home with you. They said if everything goes well, I will go home late sat. or early sun. I had the epidural when I had my last child. I loved it. He is going to put a block in for pain. So I will be pain free for the first 24 hrs. Yippee
Unread 10-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Peace Lily

Hi..thanks for the info regarding the catheter. My gynecologist was so backed up with patients waiting in his office...he wasn't a forthcoming with the info!!. One more week and its over.
Email..dld93@rogers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Surgery

This is going to be a week of being a nervous wreck. I will think about you as I get me epidural, ha. I hope it all goes well with you Hubby. Tell him to be safe. I would hate to see you running around in Florida, holding your uterus and calling out for your hubby.
Unread 10-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Peace Lily

Hi...My gawd..i needed that laugh!! I am trying to picture myself runnning around in Florida.....not fun!!...but very funny.LOL
So...i have a feeling that getting an epidural is a great thing!! I know i will be an outer space cadet during my surgery!! That's OK.. But the extra top ups sound wonderful. I am going to go buy my granny panties tomorrow and some books to read when i get home from the castle!! AND maybe some chocolates for the nurses so they will come see me more often to top up my epidural. Someone wrote that...and it sounded like it worked!! Maybe a box of chocolates from Laura Secord!! That should do the trick!!
Peace Lily I better go to bed..i have two people to look after tomorrow. Take care!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register