New to site, have a question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to site, have a question New to site, have a question

Unread 08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
New to site, have a question

I am 52 years young. I have always had a heavy menstral cycle so when it started lasting longer and getting heavier I thought it was a normal part of aging. I went to my Dr. for regular check up and he ordered blood work. I was anemic. He gave me 2 hormones which slowed me down for a couple of months. When I started again it was even worse. I was passing clots the size of golf balls. I was referred to a GYN (one with NO bedside manner). He preformed an endometrial ablation on May 1st of this year. All was good until August 3rd, when low and behold it happened again. I have been on my cycle for 19 days now, some days heavy, some days light. Any ideas on anything I can try besides a hysterectomy. I would not have had the Ablation if he had told me before hand that it might not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM

I too had an ablation that failed. My period began three weeks after the abl procedure. I was dumbfounded. Wish I have just had a hyst then. I'd be recovering now. Doc said this was the first one she has seen that failed completely.
Unread 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM

My doc gave me the choice of Ablation but said in 1/3 of women, they never have a period again, another 1/3 has lighter periods and the last 1/3 has no change. I went for the Hyst and although I'm still recovering, I haven't regreted it one bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2006, 08:43 PM

I was given the option of ablation or hyst. My Dr clearly said "if you want permanent, go with the hyst. You might get 5 years with ablation"
I didn't want to be back to where I started - or worse - at some point in the next five years. Too unpredictable for me.
Unread 08-20-2006, 10:38 PM

I, too, was given the opition at first for an Ablation or Hysterecomy. The Dr told me that in 2/3 of the women who had an ablation they still had periods however only half of them had lighter periods than before. Meaning 1/3 of the women were unchanged. After being diagnosised with CIN II for the third time, I made the decision for the hysterecomy. I am 6 weeks post-hyst and can honestly say now that I would make the same choice again if I had to.

I was given Lupron therapy 7 years ago and know that was the only relief I got from the horrid periods I was having. Maybe you should talk with your Dr about "medicine induced menopause"(not sure what they call it now). I do remember it was not pleasant to have to deal with the hot flashes, mood swings, etc. but I did not have the heavy periods while I was taking the injections. I do know that there are more options available now, hopefully your Dr can explore them with you.

I hope that you can find something that will work for you and that you are comfortable with.
Unread 08-21-2006, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replys, it's good to know others have been where I am now, though I wouldn't wish this on any one.
Unread 09-16-2006, 07:17 PM

I am exactly in the same boat as you! I have read about Novasure,but is I have endo - I do not think it will work. Do you know if you have endometriosis? I think I want a diag lap to see exactly what is going on.
Unread 11-02-2006, 08:40 PM

No I don't have it. Just extemely heavy periods. If I had it to do over, i would have had the hysterectomy to start with. They say the ablation works in 85% of cases. Lucky me.... in the other 15%. I see the GYN on Nov 10..I'm sure he will try to talk me into surgery, I had to get 4 units of blood last week. No period since
Unread 11-03-2006, 02:21 PM

I have been looking for someone who is going through the same thing I am, just this week my doctor gave me the option of the ablation or the hyst, I have endo as well as a small fibroid, heavy bleeding and extreme pain, I am leaning to the having the hyst since in a few years, or months I don't want to be back in the same situation I am in now, as you I did the hormone treatment(not much relief) and as soon as I stopped the hormones back to the same ole situtation I was in when I started
Unread 11-04-2006, 05:56 AM

what is your age? I am 53 and do not really want to have a hyst - my dr actually wants me to do the abalation, but I am sure I could find one that wants to do a hyst.
A friend of mine (age 50) is also going through this - we have started taking natural supplementw which seem to be easing the bleeding, pain and duration. My periods (or bleeding) had been lasting 3 months long, this month my bleeding was only 5 days!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register