open incision post-op, surgery needed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

open incision post-op, surgery needed? open incision post-op, surgery needed?

Unread 07-05-2009, 12:19 AM
open incision post-op, surgery needed?

Hi everyone,

I'm a 38 year old who had a TAH in January and then had the rest (ovaries, tubes) removed may 16th due to a 9cm mass...non-cancer but my right ovary was dying (it was twisted). well...two days after while i was still in the hospital i started getting stomach distention and i was about 4-6 hours from going septic by the time they did emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction at about 2am on may 19th. i actually did go into cardiac arrest on the OR and was clinically dead for about a minute (yipes).

Anyway...they left an open incision after the bowel obstruction surgery right on top of the other scars and incisions. why? no clue. but now i'm infected and i need surgery to reopen the whole dang thing and re-start the whole healing process over since apparently i healed upside down (top down). i have a 3 cm hole into my ab and then a 6 cm tunnel that goes horizontal and that's what's infected so they can't let the top close and they have to go in an correct this. after getting the run around at my hospital i sought out a THIRD opinion and the last two docs were like "get to a general surgeon NOW." so this next week i'll get cut again...

Honestly? I'm really honkerblonked off. I have had endo for most of my life...I finally decided to remove the parts because nothing else worked after years of trying EVERYTHING under the sun. I thought by february...march...I'd be ok. but i'm not and now it's 7 months exactly from the TAH and i feel like i'm never going to get well. i traded hell for another level of hell. endo took away my life...and now so has this?

I don't really know what I'm asking other than I just need to vent and I'm just so upset. Has anyone had anything like this and things got better within a year? I read the archives and people are talking about multiple reopenings, wounds that healed after years....I feel like I'm losing my mind to be honest. I'm 38...and I feel like I haven't even started my life due to this **** endo and the "cures."

Just very frustrated and need some friendly support...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Re: open incision post-op, surgery needed?

You vent away. This sounds terrible.
Sending courage and perseverance.
Jx
Unread 07-05-2009, 05:28 AM

thank you judna for reading my vent...i'm really glad to read that you are recovering well!! i mean NO ONE should have this much trouble...i hope you keep recovering well!!!

maybe this might help others who are having issues like this and just need to cry on some shoulders....i read through other forum postings and it seems that while no one has posted on this recently that i could find, others have had some bad times that are very similar to my story. i just hate that we have to go through all this -- i mean even just having the surgery is hard...

the worst thing is that i found out that i was a part of a clinical trial and was one of 8 reported cases who had bad stuff happen. 7 is still alive but 1-6 died. as soon as i know the drug name i will post all over here!!! i wouldn't be so mad IF they had informed me (like the laws here say they have to) and gave me the choice to NOT participate...and yes...I will be suing over that. they never got my consent and that is maddening...any place that does that needs to be reported and taken to court. i don't care about the money -- i'd give it to charity as long as i see that they get reported for breaking the law!! to think that i almost died thanks to an experimental drug that i had no say in their giving it to me...it's not even approved....it's still in clinical trials. and i was an unwilling (and unknowing until a few days ago) participant in their study!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2009, 06:12 AM

This is a nightmare! You do need to vent and get it out. I hope this next surgery will sort things once and for all. You have suffered so much, and I send you courage and good wishes for a speedy (well, from here on out) recovery.
Sisters are here to listen and we will all be watching for news after your next surgery and thinking of you.
xx
cleo
Unread 07-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Hi Vrrgrl,

I am so sorry that you are dealing with all of this right now but, please know that you are not alone. Although our circumstances are different I didn't have anything happen to my bowel I can relate on the multiple openings of the incision bit.... In 6 months my incision will have been open 3 times, I am scheduled for the third surgery on the 22nd of this month and I know just how rough this is. I have been on pain meds straight for almost 6 months feeling constant pain everyday all day....

If you ever need someone to talk to please do not hesitate to message me! I will be here for you... Keep holding your head up high and it will all work out!!

I will be keeping you in my thoughts!!!
Charity
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:43 AM

Vrgrrl,
Don't feel bad about venting.You need to do that.
I hope everything turns out alright after this next surgery and wish you a safe,uncomplicated and SPEEDY recovery.
I would definately tell my doctor where to go if I was used in an experiment as you were.There are laws against that kinda thing and he/she should have definately discussed it with you in advance.
Please keep us all informed of the surgery and healing process you have to go thru again.And if you need to vent remember we are here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register