I thought I was so prepared pre-op...(slight vent) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I thought I was so prepared pre-op...(slight vent) I thought I was so prepared pre-op...(slight vent)

Unread 12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I thought I was so prepared pre-op...(slight vent)

I really felt good going for my TVH, I felt well informed, and aware of all my choices/options/risks, but:
I never knew about the bladder issues I would be having now, still spasms, still urgency to pee, still aching
I didnt know I would still be tired and achy almost 5 weeks later
I had no idea how my bm's would still be a challenge this far post-op
I didnt think my family would already be treating me as if I was healed
I had no clue I would be moody or teary
Most of all I didnt even know I would have a vaginal cuff, I knew what was going to be removed but didnt allow myself to think of what would happen after

Sorry, just needed to get it off my chest.
Anyone else in my boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM

katie,
it was if you were writing (typing) that just for me. I am feeling some, well all of the things you mentioned. Esp. the bladder issues and the family thinking you are all better.

I have my six weeks check up tomorrow and its like ok the six week mark is here and "VOILA!" you are healed!!!!!!!! You are on your own???? You have your energy back, you have no aches and pains, you are done! Well, its not happening that way with me.
'
I felt marvelous the first two weeks. Then hit the exhaustion wall. My bladder issues started at around two weeks mark too. Not severe pain, just a nagging one.

My five week mark was great. The energy was wonderful. I thought to myself, all is well, this is over, I am back to normal.........Until Saturday when I started feeling crappy again, bladder issues flared back up, back ache, moody. I realized I was PMSing,,,,but the back and bladder issues have been flaring up off and on all along!!

I guess you could say I needed you to bring up this subject so I could vent too. Thanks!
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM

I feel tired and full of various stomach pains at this 5 week juncture. Actually, I think I felt better last week than this week. I'm not having bladder problems but I must be diligent about bm's. I continue on the metamucil and prune juice as a daily regimen (despise both). Otherwise, I get into trouble.
I am more tearful too. It seems like all the ugliness in the world hits me hard - I no longer have a buffer from it. My DH thinks I should be fine by now. Anyone who hasn't been through this, just doesn't understand. I've had two prior surgeries and they were nothing like this one.
I never imagined so much internal pains. There was a thread a few days ago that made me laugh about trolls, rapid squirrels, or chipmunks starting chainsaws in our recovering areas.
Let's hope week 6 is much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2008, 08:54 PM

I am at 8 weeks out. My bladder is almost back to normal. My BM are still painful & still require colace. I get the swell belly each night if I do anything although it is not as big. I sure don't feel anywhere as bad as I did but I don't think you hit 6 weeks & boom your healed. I think it takes a long time & just gets better each day.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM

I still ache too. I had a few issues myself with DH. It seems that once we get up to move around to keep from going insane, all the sudden poof were healed. Hang in there. Your just behind me and I still have those days.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:10 PM

I hear you too. There were some things I wasn't prepared to deal with/experience afterward too.

My boss had the same thing done and has kept talking about how much energy I'll have. It's been two and a half months and not only am I still dealing with fatigue (not regularly but there's days I'm totally wiped), but the hormonal craziness that's coming with this makes me just want to hide in a cave.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Oh thank god! I mean, I dont want you ladies to be feeling horrid, but I am so at my wits end!
I have a doc appt tomorrow for this **** bladder thing. I cant believe I was so unprepared for the spastic bladder.
Dont get me wrong, I am so happy to be rid of my prior pain, but this whole new burning, urgency thing has me pulling my hair out.
And I feel like a brocken record trying to remind my dh and my dd about how I may feel good one day and like tonight MISERABLE!!!!!

Thank you, I love you, thank you for replying, to know I am not alone in my insanity is priceless!
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
My sentiments exactly

I too felt that I was well prepared for this surgery. I'd read up on things online. I washed my sheets, cleaned my room, put extra pillows on the bed.

But I was not prepared for the extreme pain I felt post op and I was not prepared to still be in pain many days later.

Had my LSH on a Monday, Mom was here 'til Thurs. She'd planned to leave Wednesday morning but I was in no shape to be on my own. An ex-boyfriend came in from Georgia for the holidays and stayed for a few days.

Anyway, 2 weeks out, totally alone except for my 14 year old son(I'm a single Mom), and feeling stranded. On top of the pain, swelling and feeling of total helplessness, my son is constantly complaining that I haven't fed him in two weeks! Though, my Mom and my ex did. It's awful though, I feel like I can hardly take care of myself at this point, let alone take care of both of us.

My Mom lives 3 hours away. My Dad just doesn't get it. He dropped off some freezer food, which I totally appreciate, but I need help cooking, cleaning, laundry, vacuuming. My son acts like I'm torturing him when I ask him to do things.

Wow, guess I needed to vent too.

I just have so much I want to do, but I'm so afraid to over do it.

Really glad I at least have this site to keep me company and keep me sane right now.
Unread 12-30-2008, 03:26 AM

It doesn't seem to matter how many times I read initial healing takes 6-8 weeks but total healing takes 6-12 months it didn't sink in.

Although I had a text book recovery with minimal pain going back to work was a huge shock. I thought all my walking had helped to build up my stamina, wrong :-(

I have had to make an adjustment to my working hours as I didn't feel safe driving home after a 9-5 day. I now come home around 3 and work from home until 6. It doesn't help as I have an hours commute either end of the day.

My biggest issue has been night sweats and broken sleep. I am now on my third change in HRT and don't seem able to sleep through a whole night :-( We have got rid of the constant hot flashes though :-)

All that said, I am so glad I had this surgery. No more bleeding, intimacy without pain, no more pain at all!
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi there,
I don't think I was nearly as prepared as I thought I was either. I am 12 days post op, and I'm still pretty sore, it's not debilitating, but it is frustrating. Today is the first day I'm feeling bladder issues. I'm hoping it is nothing. I can still urinate, but there is a little bit of stinging, and there was some light pink blood. I'm thinking a UTI... I have some pain in the hips today too, and don't know if it is just moving around...

so so so glad we are not alone!! Thanks ladies for sharing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register