Sneezing. My body's form of personal torture. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sneezing. My body's form of personal torture. Sneezing. My body's form of personal torture.

Unread 09-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Sneezing. My body's form of personal torture.

It happend the first time last Wednesday. Hubby and I got out for the morning and went to the bookstore. What a stupid idea that was. I sneezed my first post op sneeze in the children's section. You should have seen me panicking and trying to find something to brace myself with so I wouldn't injure anything. It really hurt. Since then I have been sneezing all day every day. It isn't as bad anymore but I still brace myself. What is the deal with the sneezing? I'm not sick, and never sneezed this much before. I laugh because before surgery it was the endo that would creep up and knock me down with the pain. Now that all that is gone, its like my body has found some other way to torture me. Very funny.

Sorry girls, I'm stuck on the couch and have to talk to someone. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2006, 12:53 PM

I was terrified of that first sneeze...and it hurt. I notice I have been sneezing more frequently as well. I am sure it has to do with the reduction in activity...more stuff gets stuck and irritates your nasal and lung passages when movement and breathing is reduced.

I was amazed though...I sneeze all the time due to allergies and I did not sneeze once in 2 weeks after the surgery. It was like a protective mechanism.
Unread 09-03-2006, 01:59 PM

Try -- well before the sneeze is immediately imminent -- holding your nose firmly and opening your mouth wide and breathing through your mouth instead of your nose until the feeling of needing to sneeze goes away. It doesn't look great, but it can relieve the sneeze that, deep down, might challenge your insides at a time when they could use some rest. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2006, 03:25 PM

Oh, you remind me of me! I was at a mall and desperately searching for a brace. It was a comedy scene, for sure. Try holding an index finger horizontally (mimicing a mustache) under your nose and gently pressing in--triggers a nerve to stop the sneeze.
Unread 09-03-2006, 05:02 PM

I've noticed I've been sneezing much more since surgery, too. Not in the first week or so, but certainly the last week or so. It hurts but it has to be serving a purpose. I can't figure out a rationale for the sudden increase unless it's being stuck at home more and therefore with the dust more....those dust bunnies just keep multiplying.
Unread 09-03-2006, 05:09 PM

OHHHH the sneeze, ouieee... It is a killer, I found if I can catch myself before and squeeze nose or hold stomach tight it helps reduce the shock! I also had a weekend of rolling with laughter, and the tears suddenly turned to tears of pain... it hurt bad!!
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:17 AM

I can sympathize too. My first sneeze was both painful and comedic. My DD 10yrs.old cracked up because of the way I looked and sounded. That in turn cracked me up and the paid just followed. I guess we gotta have something to do since everything else is off limits for now.
The laughing until you cry I did that day 2 in the castle. My folks were visiting and there was some funny video show on( not recommended for immediate viewing) and the funniest video came on, and I just lost it with tears of laughter and then pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register