c-section vs hysterectomy incisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

c-section vs hysterectomy incisions c-section vs hysterectomy incisions

Unread 09-10-2013, 06:05 AM
c-section vs hysterectomy incisions

do any of you ladies know if a hysterectomy incision is of similar size and location to a C-section? a friend asked me this and not having had a C-section I could not tell her, all I know is I have a ten inch horizontal incision about three of four inches above my bikini line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Re: c-section vs hysterectomy incisions

For some, I would think yes. Before my masses were found (before my blood test, CA-125, came back positive) my GYN was going to go into my previous c-section incision (bikini) and do my hyster and then my general surgeon was going to come in and do my hernia repairs. But since my blood work came back with a positive CA-125 I was referred to a GYN/ONC, who decided a midline incision (sternum to groin) would be better and give them more room to look for potential cancer. I'm almost 7 weeks post op (tomorrow) and have had no incisional pain, only issue I've had is a separation in my belly button from post op fluid making an escape route. So I'm packing it daily.
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenLily View Post
do any of you ladies know if a hysterectomy incision is of similar size and location to a C-section? a friend asked me this and not having had a C-section I could not tell her, all I know is I have a ten inch horizontal incision about three of four inches above my bikini line
Today is my 4 year anniversary of having had my hysterectomy. In answer to your question, in my case, I would say yes the incisions were the same. My God-daughter gave birth to twin boys 5 years ago via c-section and she had a bikini line incision as I did with my hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Usually if you've had a c-section they just use your old incision to do the hysterectomy. I had 2 c-sections and my hysterectomy incision was longer than my c's because they have to remove the scar tissue. So it all depends on if you have had one before or not as to the length.
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesskavs View Post
Usually if you've had a c-section they just use your old incision to do the hysterectomy. I had 2 c-sections and my hysterectomy incision was longer than my c's because they have to remove the scar tissue. So it all depends on if you have had one before or not as to the length.
This was me as well and because mine wasn't planned TAH it is very large hip to hip incision.
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM

I think mine is a big shorter than my c section. I'm 8 weeks and incision is very neat.
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Mine is ten inches and higher than bikini line by abt two or three inches
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM

I've had 2 csections and now a vertical incision. My csections were about 6-7" max. My hysterectomy one is about 7" from belly button to bikini line.
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM
c-section vs hysterectomy incisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenLily View Post
I'm almost eight weeks post op from an abdominal hysterectomy. I've had one c-section and my doctor went through the same incision but removed all of the old scar and scar tissue. About a seven inch bikini line and very neat. Not issues it actually healed a bit quicker than the c-section. But that was twenty five years ago. Lol.
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Mine used my C-section scar for the most part, extending the ends slightly as my C-section was for an emergency section at 31 weeks. This time it extends full width from hip bone to hip bone, with a small puncture alongside one end where the drain was sited.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register