Pre-Op Blood Clots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Blood Clots Pre-Op Blood Clots

Unread 06-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Pre-Op Blood Clots

Has anyone had to deal with pre-op blood clots? Came back from a walk a couple of weeks ago to a sore spot on my leg plus a tender spot in front of my ankle - kinda red and a bit warm. I waited a couple of days then spent an evening in after-hours clinic and was told that it was nothing. Two weeks later my leg is still sore. Color comes and goes. Yesterday I saw my GP who said she thought that I just have pflebitis (sp?) - take Motrin and put some heat on it. She told me that I can go down the the HMO's hospital for a blood test and, if necessary, a scan. I asked her if she would bother with it if it were her leg - said "no". After talking to some nurse buddies I've decided to go anyway. I ended up canceling out of going to Boy Scout camp with DS tomorrow - will try to drive the boys up anyway since we're short of drivers.

DH returns today from 2 weeks on a business trip - will try to go and get back before he gets home. My SAH should be scheduled for about a month from now - just hope that this stupid leg thing doesn't screw it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Pre-Op Blood Clots

Hi Stitchykind,

I'm glad that you canceled out on BS camp, and that you are going to go to the hospital and get it checked out, just to be on the safe side.

I did a search on the word phlebitis, using our search engine (click onto "search" above the rectangular drop-down box at top right) and found several threads;

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sea...der=descending

Please let us know what you found out. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

's
Unread 06-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Pre-Op Blood Clots

There are two kinds of blood clots - deep and surface. It's possible the DR isn't concerned because yours is farther away from the heart, head and lungs and it looks like it's a surface clot since you can sort of see it and feel it. A surface clot is often like a bruise in that something happened at the site where the clot formed to cause it. Deep clots tend to travel farther and be caused by reasons other than surface trauma.

However, keep in mind two important facts. #1 - just because you have a surface clot that doesn't mean you don't have deeper ones. #2 - developing ANY clot, especially prior to surgery, is a problem your surgeon MUST know about.

If your HMO will scan your legs, great. I'm glad you're having that done. If you get blown off for some reason, definately discuss this with your GYN DR or the DR doing your hyst. They may want to take extra tests and take extra precautions during your surgery. For instance, I received 5000 mg of heparin prior to my surgery and my only documented blood clot was 20+ years ago.

Unfortunately, a recent blood clot might rule you out from getting HRT. This is something you NEED to discuss with your DR before you make the final decision to remove your ovaries if that's something that's in the works.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 08:14 PM
My Adventure

Thanks for the support!

Did some early morning errands then headed down the freeway to the hospital (about 35 miles away). I never made it that far. Didn't realize it at the time but had an anxiety attack while driving - didn't know what was happening to me - just knew that I would never make it as far as I had to go. Luckily for me, the next exit had a hospital not too far away. I drove myself to the emergency room and gave them my (sweaty, jittery) sob story. I can't say enough nice things about how I was treated! Doctor told me that I had probably just had a bad anxiety attack - not surprising considering all I've been through lately. Doc agreed that I could very well have a clot, so he ordered the test I was heading down to have. My dopler turned out just fine - means only vein problems are surface and shouldn't interfere with my surgery!!! He gave me more info than my GP did so now I know how to take care of myself. I'm going to practice being a good girl and will spend some quality time taking asprin, drinking lots of water and keeping my leg heated. I also need to get back to walking - this time with an ace bandage wrapped around my leg. I'll check in with my GP next week and make sure that I tell my GYN about the latest incident so that he knows about the asprin.
Unread 06-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Pre-Op Blood Clots

I'm very glad that everything has turned out alright - that must have been very frightening when you had the anxiety attack. My DD has them, and from her descriptions of how she feels when they hit, it's scary. I'm so glad that there was a hospital at the next exit.

Please do everything the ER doctor recommended, and take very good care of yourself now.

's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register