I cannot believe this.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I cannot believe this.... I cannot believe this....

Unread 07-02-2001, 05:31 PM
I cannot believe this....

Hi everyone. First I want to thank everyone so much for all of there advice! I had 3 full pages of questions for my doctor today and it did not matter at all!

I just want to cry right now. I am so upset.

When I was finally called into my doctors the nurse said he wanted to do a vaginal exam. He did this same exam on my last visit already. I thought this one was to talk. She said he will after the exam. He comes in and exams me and pushes hard on the inside and outside. When he is finished with that he says I will meet you in my office. I wait forever and he finally comes in. Wants me to start signing papers right away. I said I have a few questions. He got 2 phone calls while I was talking to him and he took them! More time waiting for him to see me. Had to wait a long time in the exam room too. He finally gets back to me and as I begin my next question he says. My staff is waiting on me, (was closing time), and I must attend to them. So I waited about 20-25 minutes more and he finally comes in.

Well I told everyone here that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. I told him I want the ovaries out too because of what I am going through with the ovaries. High testoterone which makes me grow facial hair like a guys, high cholesterol, insulin resistance that will turn to diabetes eventually. And he says that if the uterus has no cancer then he will not remove the ovaries unless I want him too. This got me to thinking if I should really have it done now. My general md says too he says not too. Totally confused at this point and ready to cry. Next I try and tell him my fears about the fibromyalgia pain and started to talk over the different pain options that you sisters told me about. He says they only use morphine. I did not want that!!

I wanted an answer as to how he was going to go about this. He says he will start with a vaginal, when the uterus is out he will send a sample to pathology, if cancer he will procede to an abdominal. I do not even know what he is going to do and will only know when I wake up! So much for mental preparing.
Next he tells me that he talked to a gyno oncolgist. He says he wondered if he took the uterus and it came back with no cancer, but yet pathology reports came back 4 days later as cancer, what about the ovaries that he left in? Guess what the oncologist told him? He said if it is stage 1 cancer in the uterus he would not worry about the ovaries and leave them be! WHAT!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe this. If the test comes back positive while he is operating on me he will move to the abdominal and take them but if it is 4 days later he will not????

I feel like taking my chances and not have the surgery. I mean they are going to leave possible cancerous ovaries in there anyhow.

Sorry this is so long. I did not have a good day and am not getting anything that I wanted.

Also he says they always give anti-nausea meds after surgery. What about before??? And he only uses Zofran as a last resort if nothing else works. Of sure barf my guts up until they find something that works.

Nothing about giving me Verced before surgery. He says when I told him about waking up in major pain in the recovery room that everyone has some pain.. I said yes but I don't want a 10 pain!

I am so scared now again. I don't want this surgery anymore!

Hugs,

Michelle

P.S. Has any of you had polycystic ovarian syndrome and had your ovaries removed too with the hyster? How is your health now compared to when you had PCOS ovaries? I can still change my mind and have an abdominal with ovary removal. I only opted for the vaginal because I am scared to death of the huge cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2001, 06:02 PM
Oh Michelle

First of all, let me give you a giant hug!
Now, let me pray a little prayer for you.
I come to you this afternoon Dear Lord to ask for peace for Michelle. Wrap her in your loving arms sweet Jesus and allow her turmoils and fear to flow through your heart as you cleanse her mind and ease her heart. Look down on her from the heavens and touch her with your healing hands. This I pray for you Michelle.
I had my surgery on the 23 of May. My decision to have my ovaries removed was based on the doctor finding cervical cancer. I knew that my cancer was treatable and located on my cervix but the scare was bad enough for me to want all of it out. I did not have pain, nor did I have heavy periods.
When my pathology report came back, it showed that I had PCO's and a pretty sweet little fibroid within my uterus. I did have some pain during ovulation, but not enough to go to the doctor about.
Please let your doctor know your wishes. Tell him that you want your ovaries left alone. Or tell him that you want your ovaries out. This is a decision that only you can make. There is a great thread somewhere on here that polls everybody about the ovary issue. I found a lot of information there. However, the decision will be yours.
If you want Versed before you go into surgery, just ask for it. Ask the nurse or the anesthesiologist.
If you want anti-barfing meds before you go in, call your doctor and tell the nurse that you want this included on your orders.
Michelle, don't forget that this doctor works FOR you. You are paying him a ton of money to provide you with the best health care that you can get.
Be proactive! Speak out and let him know your wishes. If he doesn't comply or makes you feel crummy, find another doctor.
As far as having my ovaries removed, I havn't missed them very much. It feels good to be emotionally stable for once in my life.
It is also very nice to know that I will never develop ovarian cancer. The absence of worry was enough for me.
Your decision, your body, your life. Don't let the doctor's or his staff do that to you again. He works for you. You can fire him any time you get the urge.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
Brenda.
Unread 07-02-2001, 06:27 PM
I cannot believe this....

Brenda I just wrote back to you on your post about turning 40! Happy B-Day! We share alot of pain for sure. Both in the same financial boat.. hehehehe

Thank you for your prayer and kind words. I do want the ovaries out in a way but not sure of the long term affects of being on hormone replacement. Plus I am still very chicken of having the abdominal incision. *shivers* Not the scar but more pain and recovery time. I know I am such a baby no matter how everyone has tried to encourage me..

I feel like you that I would not have to worry about cancer either way. I am going to call my general md tommorrow who was the one who suggested I have them out and see what he says.

More hugs,

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register