Does having a thick uterus lining & enlarged uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does having a thick uterus lining & enlarged uterus? Does having a thick uterus lining & enlarged uterus?

Unread 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Does having a thick uterus lining & enlarged uterus?

Hello....

Recently, I was sent to my gyno by my family doctor due to being anaemic. I had a pelvic ultrasound and was supposed to be deciding if I wanted a hysterto, abalation, or an IUD. (I've been having heavy, clotty, periods) Instead, I'm being told that I need a biospy due to an enlarged uterus and thick uterus lining. Instead, I opted for the D & C. Anyhow, what are the chances of having an enlarged uterus and thick lining being caused by cancer? When you read on the internet trying to find other reasons, pretty much all I find says cancer, cancer or pre cancerous. Are there a lot of other things that cause thick uterus linings? I'm trying to focus on other things to stay positive ibut instead I'm always led right back to the "C" word. Can scar tissue from previous surgeries cause a thick uterus lining? other surgeries, endomet.? Right now, having a thick lining and enlarged uterus only seem to really point to one thing - Cancer...does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Re: Does having a thick uterus lining & enlarged uterus?

What about adenomyosis? it seems to fit the bill?
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM

Yes, I've read about that..I wonder how likely it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM

I am 43 and I have suffered from heavy period most of my adult life. I was put on birth control years ago to control the bleeding and it never helped. being on the pill made me gain weight and made me *****y so I stopped the pill.
Fast forward ten years, still bleeding heavy but with age it got really bad. I was using 12 super plus tampons in less than eight hours and having to get up in the middle of the night to change out a super plus tampon and change my pad. My little sister had uterine cancer, worried I went to a new gyno given my symtoms and family history I was given a biopsy on my first visit, A polyp came out with that biopsy. I also had an enlarged and thick uterus. They ordered and ultrasound.
Imagine this... I was so naive that I was surprised that they had to do the ultrasound vaginally. LOL
Anyways they discovered I had a few fibroids, the largest about golf ball size, it was inside my uterus wall and also on the outer wall. Ablation would not work on this fibroid due to the way it grew into my uterus. If I wanted to preserve the uterus I could of done Uterine Fibroid Embolization, but it could come back. Since I was not going to have any more children i opted for a supracervical hysterectomy (da Vinchi)
I am more than happy with my choice and I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow.I only took out what I needed to - the top part of the uterus and fallopian tubes that were damaged by scar tissue (endo)
Good luck to you with whatever decision you make. Google everything and do your research, do not be afraid to ask your doctor questions. I made a list and asked mine everything! She was very good and spent time with me and explained the pros and cons of everything I asked.
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Get a biopsy done. That way you and your doctor will know what you are up against.
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks for your story. I will be having a biospy with the D & C. I was initially scheduled for an endo biopsy and decided on the d & C so the doctor can get a better sample of my lining. Also, the D & C will clean me up until I decide if I will have a hyster...which I will decide to do if my biospy comes back ok.

Nervous & Scared.
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915tanya View Post
I am 43 and I have suffered from heavy period most of my adult life. I was put on birth control years ago to control the bleeding and it never helped. being on the pill made me gain weight and made me *****y so I stopped the pill.
Fast forward ten years, still bleeding heavy but with age it got really bad. I was using 12 super plus tampons in less than eight hours and having to get up in the middle of the night to change out a super plus tampon and change my pad. My little sister had uterine cancer, worried I went to a new gyno given my symtoms and family history I was given a biopsy on my first visit, A polyp came out with that biopsy. I also had an enlarged and thick uterus. They ordered and ultrasound.
Imagine this... I was so naive that I was surprised that they had to do the ultrasound vaginally. LOL
Anyways they discovered I had a few fibroids, the largest about golf ball size, it was inside my uterus wall and also on the outer wall. Ablation would not work on this fibroid due to the way it grew into my uterus. If I wanted to preserve the uterus I could of done Uterine Fibroid Embolization, but it could come back. Since I was not going to have any more children i opted for a supracervical hysterectomy (da Vinchi)
I am more than happy with my choice and I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow.I only took out what I needed to - the top part of the uterus and fallopian tubes that were damaged by scar tissue (endo)
Good luck to you with whatever decision you make. Google everything and do your research, do not be afraid to ask your doctor questions. I made a list and asked mine everything! She was very good and spent time with me and explained the pros and cons of everything I asked.
So your biopsy came back fine and lining was thick due to polpys?
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM

yes, the thick lining was caused by polyps and a fibroid that was encroaching upon the lining inside the uterus. The fibroid caused my lining look like a 7 inside, instead of an upside down triangle. This also caused my heavy bleeding and clots every month.
Just because your lining is thickened doesnt always mean the big C. I'm not sure how old you are, but it could just be your cycle, a polyp, hormone changes etc. The biopsy and dnc will give you the information you need. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to stress until you know the test results. Whatever happens, things always have a way of working out. Keep the faith and try to stay positive. Hugs oxox
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:17 AM

I don't recommend ablation. I asked for a referral to a gyn so I could get ablation because of heavy bleeding. Ultrasound showed a thickened lining and she said that meant it wouldn't be safe to do an ablation because if there was cancer in there somewhere under the lining, the ablation would block it so that it wouldn't be found until it had advanced beyond the uterus.

Having your D&C was a smart decision in my opinion. Endo biopsies can sometimes miss cancer or pre-cancer cells. D&C is more thorough. How long do you have to wait for the results?
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IreadtooMuch View Post
Thanks for your story. I will be having a biospy with the D & C. I was initially scheduled for an endo biopsy and decided on the d & C so the doctor can get a better sample of my lining. Also, the D & C will clean me up until I decide if I will have a hyster...which I will decide to do if my biospy comes back ok.

Nervous & Scared.
My GP ordered the ultrasound and noticed a thickness in the lining of the uterus, The radiologist dismissed it telling her that many women have a slight thickness, My GP disagreed with him and ordered the biopsy which showed stage1 grade1 endometrial cancer, Surgery was successful in August; no spreading to lymph nodes, no chemo or radiation needed. My prognosis is excellent.
Also I had a gyn/oncologist do the surgery and would highly recommend that if surgery is needed.
I'm saying prayers for you, but just wanted to share a positive cancer story.
P.S. Sent my GP flowers; she is awesome!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register