LAVH Aargh...bowel movement pain... How can I help me? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Aargh...bowel movement pain... How can I help me? Aargh...bowel movement pain... How can I help me?

Unread 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Aargh...bowel movement pain... How can I help me?

would appreciate some help...

I am now 7 days post-op, full v hysterectomy with bladder sling, my first BM was 2 days post op the pain is excruciating and continues to be so, I am using softners, laxatives and high fibre foods and although movement easier the pain is intense...do i just suffer this pain? can i do anything else to ease it or will this ease as I heal?

Pain relief is paracetamol codeine and ibuprofen...

Any tips, pointers, advice would be much appreciated...thank you xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Re: Aargh...bowel movement pain... How can I help me?

Just 1,
I know how you feel, and unfortunately it takes a while for that bowel pain to go away. I am 7 months post-op and still have it sometimes. Drink lots of water. Hope it gets better soon.

Mrsbrigget
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Oh, man, I thought I was gonna die on the toilet! It got better for me around days 7-10 and by day 14-15 I was pooping like a champ. LOL!

Mirilax worked wonders for me. Plus lots and lots of water, fruit, and prunes. If only I had remembered to drink green smoothies during that time I know it would have helped. I just blend up about 3 cups of kale and spinach, 1 banana, about 1/2-1 cup frozen berries, and enough water to make it the consistency I want. About 1/2-1 cup. You'll need to chew it before swallowing it to get saliva going with it to aid digestion. It's not like a regular smoothie. They're so healthy! They give your body the nutrients it needs to heal and really, REALLY help with pooping. One or two a day will do the trick. Or at least help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM

The pain does subside you will be pleased to know . Codiene, one of it side effects can be constipation, maybe try cutting it down as part of you're pain relief. I struggled immensely with pain on bowel movement. My doctor prescribed movical and my initial dose was to treat faecal impaction, I have since taken a sachet each morning which keeps everything regular for me. Hope you feel better soon x
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Maybe ease up on the high fiber food and try a low residue diet for a while. The extra fiber might be compacting everything especially if you aren't drinking enough water. I hope this helps.
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM

They told me the pain medicine was causing my constipation. My doctor suggested the generic capsules walmucil over the counter. I also am eating prunes and dried apricots. I got off the narcotic one day of being home, since then I had to use it twice and both times right back to being constipated. Trying to drink lots and lots of water.
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM

I agree with danni3113. Cut the fibre out a little. I ate homemade soups for a while and ate (ugh) prunes x
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Yep I think my finger imprints are on the toilet seat cover. It does get better but mine only has just started easing and I'm 11 days out. I finally had a generous BM today and I all but danced in the streets with joy! I went full out with salads and raw veggies the first couple of days and wish I hadn't. I think that made it worse. I switched to soft foods and that helped. Bean soup, cooked veggies and LOTS of water. Good luck!
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Aargh...bowel movement pain... How can I help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Chat View Post
Oh, man, I thought I was gonna die on the toilet! It got better for me around days 7-10 and by day 14-15 I was pooping like a champ. LOL!

Mirilax worked wonders for me. Plus lots and lots of water, fruit, and prunes. If only I had remembered to drink green smoothies during that time I know it would have helped. I just blend up about 3 cups of kale and spinach, 1 banana, about 1/2-1 cup frozen berries, and enough water to make it the consistency I want. About 1/2-1 cup. You'll need to chew it before swallowing it to get saliva going with it to aid digestion. It's not like a regular smoothie. They're so healthy! They give your body the nutrients it needs to heal and really, REALLY help with pooping. One or two a day will do the trick. Or at least help.
I'd add yogurt, too! Probiotic = pro pooping!
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:45 PM

I started pooping on day 5 - and I haven't stopped. Its nice and soft - almost runny but it still really hurts. I just figure that the bowels are contracting and touching the area that was just moved, stitched, etc and it will hurt for a while. One more thing that will "just take time..."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register