CO2 gas pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:47 AM
CO2 gas pain

I'm three days post op and feeling great. Hardly any abdominal pain and just tired mostly. The exception to that though, is this horrible pain in my ribs/shoulders. It's worst in the morning but relatively unpleasant throughout the day as well. The only reason I've taken the Percocet is for this pain. I've been up and walking since the day after surgery, and doing a fair amount of walking daily since.

Has anyone found anything that helps dissipate this gas? It's not abdominal gas, that is passing just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Re: CO2 gas pain

They had me take OTC gas med. get chewables. They help some. I know it hurts, but walking helps with that too. That pain is awful, but shouldn't last much longer
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:05 AM

I had that pain, too. It lasted for about a week. Mine was in my right shoulder. My hubby felt bad for me because nothing really helped. He did massage my shoulder a lot! ��
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2013, 05:21 AM

Thanks ladies! Maybe I'll convince the hubby to massage a little
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:47 AM

Heating pads help a little, drink lots of water and keep up the walking. It simply has to work itself out. I found that to be the worst pain of the entire surgery! Hoping it goes away soon for you!
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:16 AM

That was my most intense pain also! I thought they had dropped me on my shoulder. I had been sucking down the diet soda as my throat felt a little scratchy, mentioned the shoulder and rib pain, and the night nurse said anything with bubbles would make it worse. She said hot tea would help and to burp as much as I could to release the pressure.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM

This was also a horrible pain for me, worse than the stomach pain! My doctor told me to try a heating pad on the shoulder blade area, and on the front of the shoulder. It worked very well for me. The pain was gone the next day. I still had gas, but it wasn't that excruciating shoulder pain that just grips you like a vice. I never had to take Gas X or anything, but I stocked up on it just in case.

I highly recommend trying the heating pad if you haven't yet. On for 15-20 mins, then off. Repeat as needed. It helped me literally within hours.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Thank you kimdi. I will definitely get the heating pad out. I appreciate all the tips!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register