Arthritis medication in hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Arthritis medication in hospital Arthritis medication in hospital

Unread 04-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Arthritis medication in hospital

I will ask my doctor about this in two weeks, but until then, can anyone share their feelings about dealing with arthritis stiffness while hospitalized? I have trouble getting up from my office chair because of stiffness and I wonder what it'll be like when my belly hurts too. I take Celebrex with food, and if I'm not being given food... well, maybe I won't be able to have my medication for a day or two. I worry about EVERYTHING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2004, 03:57 PM

Generally you bring your meds to the hospital and take them.
There will probably be a fairly short phase where you are not eating - for example usually from about 10pm or midnight before surgery, and then you have about 24 hours without food. However that 24 hours is not set in stone.
The problem is that you probably won't feel like eating anything.

During the time you aren't eating, you also are not likely to be moving about. You should have a catheter so you won't have to get out of bed to pee, and you'll just stay quiet.

I can see this is a big concern for you and one you will have to go over with your dr. Maybe there is an alternative medicine you can take for a few days, that does not require you to have food?

I hope you can find out what can be done very soon, so that you have one less thing to be worried about.
best wishes,
Unread 04-17-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Generally you bring your meds to the hospital and take them.
Please double check with your own doctor and hospital about this. You should not bring any meds with you or take anything on your own without your doctor's knowledge. Many hospitals prohibit patients from bringing their own meds because of the liability. In fact, in some states, the hospital is liable even if the patient took something without the staff's knowledge.

During your pre-op, you will be asked what meds you are currently taking...tell both your doctor and the nursing staff about the Celebrex. You can be given Celebrex while you're in the hospital by the staff or they may tell you to bring it along and they will dispense it to you. Your hospital will have a policy that you must follow. They can also give you the Celebrex with another med that will prevent the stomach upset that can be caused by COX-2 inhibitors like Celebrex, so you won't need to worry about food. As for going without food for a day or two, that might not be the case. After my surgery, I did get a full dinner, and I ate it all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register