Feel lousy and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feel lousy and confused Feel lousy and confused

Unread 12-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Feel lousy and confused

Hi all - Just had a total hysterectomy via laproscopy two weeks ago. Still having mild problems with pain and soreness. I'm working up the nerve to ask for more pain meds tomorrow. Why am I worried about such a ridiculous thing? The last couple days I have felt terrible. Just blah.

I went through breast cancer treatment 6 months ago so I think I'm still tired from that on top of this. I had two laproscopic surgeries for endometrosis and ando(uterine ablation, lapro, left ovary removed) a month prior to being diagnosed with breast cancer. It's been a heck of a year but I'm okay.

Question: I found out from a total stranger yesterday that hot flashes and mood swings don't hit for a half a year or so after the hysterectomy. Is this true? That terrifies me because my doctor told me symptoms would start right away. I can't take HRTs because I have ER/PR positive cell receptors and it increases my risk of a breast cancer reoccurance.

I am on Gambepetin for hot flashes and have only had 3 so far. I'm a bit weepy now and then but I think that's normal considering everything.

Do I really have to wait that long to get real symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Feel lousy and confused

I think everyone will be different. I had my LSH/BSO on Nov 12., and by the beginning of my second week, I was beginning to have night sweats. I'm now 4 weeks out, and the hot flashes/night sweats have gained in intensity, while the mood swings are really beginning to be felt.

I have also found that stress will bring on a hot flash! Lovely! So, I'm trying really hard not to stress or let the anxiety of things like the hospital bill get the better of me. Easier said than done! LOL

One good tip is to keep a wet wash cloth in the ice box to put on the back of your neck when one hits, and/or to rest your feet on an ice pack. I keep a small fan with me to use when one hits, and to dress in layers. Another very useful tool is the Chillow. It is listed on the website here in several places, and I am oh so thankful that I ordered two. I use them at night, and they are an absolute lifesaver.

I am wishing you the best in your recovery, and that you don't suffer from any menopause symptoms!
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Feel lousy and confused

pipntisha

Hang in there, it won't be long till you begin a new and better year!
I have had several health scares this year and a couple of surgeries, so I am anxious to get it over with!

Could the pain meds be making you a feel down?

A big to you! tw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Feel lousy and confused

some people start experiencing menopause symptoms immediately and others dont. it depends on how long it takes for your body to deplete its store and it also depends on your weight.
have you tried taking 800mg motrin for your pain?
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Feel lousy and confused

Hi all - thanks for the replies. I saw the doc today and he refilled the pain meds. Told me I am doing too much. He told me the weepiness is normal after a major surgery. I will try the Motrin after this round is done.

I don't have hot flashes due to the Gambepentin. I had an ovary removed last year and wasn't on it and had them pretty bad. I've been on the Gamb pills since the hysterectomy and had one or two flashes but as the meds built up, they are gone. This is significant since I've had night sweats from an anti-depressant I'm on for 7 straight years and they are GONE with the Gambepentin.

Anyway, I feel happier and more optimistic today. I thank all of you for helping me. God always leads me to the right place when I need it.

Ellen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register