tvh 2/4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-31-2002, 10:48 AM
tvh 2/4

first of all i want to thank the founders of this site. I really think i would have gone totally crazy, if i had not found this.

secondly, i was told in november that i probably had adeno and only way to end pain would be with hyst, i finally made my decision this past monday, called my gyn, and the surg is scheduled for this monday, needless to say, i am freaking out. I keep having nightmares that it was not really adeno, etc. my dh (yes, i think i am learning the lingo) is trying to be a dh, but seems more like a pitbh (pain in the butt husband) he says that it is all my decision, however, i believe deep down he is hurt that he will never have his own child. I am really curious how many mariages break up over this. just the stress alone is driving us both insane. the whole thing is going so quick, it is scary. being able to come here and read other women's storys is really helpful, makes me feel like i am not alone. i apologize for this being so choppy in writing, my brain has a million ideas in it and my hands have a mind of their own i think. i am sure that most of you felt or are feeling the same way. now onto some questions that maybe someone could answer for me

1. do i have to stay overnight in the hospital. this is my 4th surg so i know i can handle the anesthesia, it is relatively early in the day, and i can't seem to get a straight answer out of my doctor's office.
2. I am not going through Pre admission testing (PAT?, not sure of correct terminology) the hospital just can't fit it in, is this something that i should be concerened about?
3. should i be staying away from caffeine before the surg? and if so how long should i stop it, just 24 hours or should i quit now
4. what about smoking? is it ok to have a cig the morning of surg?

ty for listening, i promise my next post will be alot more coherent lol

kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 11:04 AM
tvh 2/4

Hi, Kelly,

I had a TVH/BSO, and I'll try to answer some of your questions, using my personal experience.

First, hysterectomy is an emotion-charged experience. Without question, it tests some relationships. It's very common to have mixed feelings, and it's also common for the men who love the women to have mixed feelings. If you could use some emotional support, please visit the Aching Hearts forum, where emotional support is a specialty of the house. Sometimes it helps to have your man visit your doctor with you. Also, it sometimes helps to print up some of the pop-up menus on the Hystersisters main page, and read them with your husband, so he'll know what to expect, too.

An overnight stay is standard after a TVH. You'll have a urinary catheter, which is often removed the morning after the surgery. Some doctors use vaginal packing with a TVH, which would be removed the next morning, too. (Ask your doctor about this, so you'll be prepared.) Personally, I was glad to be discharged from the hospital after one night. A longer stay is needed only if you have complications, God forbid.

Most women have a preop visit before the surgery, but sometimes the necessary bloodwork and paperwork are done in the hospital, just before the surgery. Insist on a preop visit with your doctor, in the office, so you can ask questions and receive answers. The preop visit with the doctor is for YOU, not the doctor. There's a pop-up menu on the Hystersisters main page that includes a list of questions to ask, and that was helpful for me.

Ask your doctor about the caffeine. I was told not to drink or eat anything after midnight, before my surgery. Those instructions specifically included NO hard candy, chewing gum, or smoking after midnight.

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask any question that pops into your head. This is a wonderful, supportive website, and the ladies here share information freely.

Best wishes,
princessh
Unread 01-31-2002, 01:10 PM
tvh 2/4

My surgery is scheduled for Tues Feb 5. My husband is very supportive, just wonders why it took them three years to decide to do it. I was ready back then, but dr had to try alternatives to make the ins co happy. Three years ago my uterus was the size of a 6 week pregnancy, now it is 16 week so there was no option of a vag hyst. She thinks she can get it with a bikini incision, but won't know for sure until we're in the op room.

At my hosp preop they did an extensive medical history, checked vitals and I had to have blood drawn. I also signed all the admission forms. They'll just do all that the morning of surgery.

My preop instructions said no smoking or alcohol 24 hours before surgery.

I hope this helps, and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 02:35 PM
tvh 2/4

Hi,

I had adeno, and my doctor feels that I had it for many years. I had horrible periods which were very painful. I did, however, have a child prior to my hyst. I went into pre-mature labor, but delivered on my due date. The doctor feels that the contractions were caused when my daughter hit the different spots of adeno inside the uterus.

I had many conversations with my dh(#2), about not having a child with him. It is very important that you both put all your feelings out in the open. It does help to print out some of the information from the site to share with your dh. The other suggestion, to have dh go to the doctor's with you, is a good one. My dh found it very helpful, and he was able to ask some questions that I am not sure he knew he had.

I wish you luck! This is not an easy decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register