Scheduled TAH What products/items do I really need at the castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What products/items do I really need at the castle What products/items do I really need at the castle

Unread 10-25-2013, 06:39 AM
What products/items do I really need at the castle

I got my OR date yesterday. It will be December 3rd. Trying to plan well and be ready. This site has been a tremendous help. I went to the online store and am overwhelmed by the number of products. Trying to figure out what I really need and will use. I am having TAH and removal of left Fallopian tube and ovary. The right has been gone for a very long time. I should only be in the "castle" overnight, so I don't want to take or purchase more than I need. So, my question for you is what products did you buy and pack that you would say you could not have lived without? Binders, support panties, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Re: What products/items do I really need at the castle

One night for TAH sounds very surprising.
The only thing I really needed were my robe and slippers. Both for walking around in.
The other items I really needed and which the hospital supplied were toothbrush/paste, and no-water body wash (i was there for two nights).
The hospital also supplied a binder, which was helpful the second day. But that one was too big, so I ended up not continuing to use it. For me, the binder was very helpful for a bit on the second day, and then I really didn't need it.
Also bring something to cushion your tummy against the seatbelt on your ride home.
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm with Kat213 - one night for a TAH is really fast. I stayed three nights and was given an option to stay a fourth if I wanted to. My first day after surgery, I was woozy from the anesthetic and stoned on the dilaudid they were given me for pain. I spent most of the day asleep!

Like Kat123, I brought a light, long-sleeved robe and Croc wannabes to wear when walking laps around the ward. A nurse hauled me out of bed and made me do this twice on this first day. After that, I did it myself and found it really useful.

Chapstick, hand lotion, hard candies if your throat is sore. Eye mask and ear plugs in case you have a noisy roommate(s). My hospital supplied soap, hand towels and a nurse to help me sponge-bathe my upper body. They didn't supply toothpaste and a brush, I brought my own. I also brought a hairbrush and comb - they helped me feel more human. Hard case for your glasses if you wear them. Any meds you normally take. Cloth bag or case of some sort that you can keep on your bed so that the stuff you really want near you is right there and you don't have to ask a nurse to get it.

After the first day, I was more alert and would have gone bonkers without something to read, so I was glad I brought books!

I didn't bring but wish I had: large container for water. The nurses kept bringing me these tiny little cups that were no good at all. A friend brought me a large container and a plastic glass. She also brought me a flat pillow for my belly when it was time to go home.

Do not bring: valuables of any kind. If you're going to be upset if it "walks away," don't bring it. Don't bring anything that needs to be plugged in unless you're sure that the hospital will have extra outlets for you to plug it in. Most of the outlets are going to be used for medical gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Thank you ladies. I am planning on 2 nights, 1 night doesn't sound like enough to me either. Maybe I have SW for Super Woman tatoo'ed on my forehead, lol.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Great suggestions so far. If you're bringing your phone and charger an extension cord will come in very handy - outlets are not always easily accessible.

I also love Noxema wipes and will pack some for my stay - great for freshening up a little bit.

I'm going to pick up some slippers with grippy soles, mine are cute but cloth bottoms and I'm afraid might be too slippery when I'm not steady on my feet.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:18 PM

I had the TAH/BSO last month and stayed from Thursday to early Sunday morning! Glad I did as I got all of the attention that I needed and rest!!!
My hospital supplied large drinking/sipping cup, wipes to wash with, toothbrush and toothpaste. Not that all of them will but be prepared just in case. I used a pillow to hold against my tummy every time I coughed or sneezed to ease the pain. I brought my own nightie but useless as they needed me to use the one they provided so they could run the necessary tests on me.
Take a backscratcher. Not just for your back...for whatever. It was also used as an extra "arm". Take books just in case but I could have cared less about reading but that's just me. I was happy to doze in and out.
My hospital provided footies that had the grips on the bottom but again each hosptial is different.
Oh, definitely a robe...I constantly felt cold and wished I had something else to put on. I had up to four blankets at one time at one point!!!
Your lips will be very dry...chapstick, vaseline...whatever works for you!
Main thing is...when they tell you to walk...walk! It is imperative so that you can get rid of those darned gas pains plus it will help you to recuperate much quicker.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Chapstick, toothbrush /paste and the rest is supplied by the hospital. All the rest is pretty un-necessary. My husband brought my laptop night 2 I didn't even unzip the case... I was fortunate enough to have a big private room and my younger son stayed with me all 3 nights & into the 4th day. They don't want you to wear your own night gown if you are plugged up to IV machines and they need to check your incision/padding etc. Save the best prepping for recovery at home :O)

Best wishes to you!
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post

I didn't bring but wish I had: large container for water. The nurses kept bringing me these tiny little cups that were no good at all. A friend brought me a large container and a plastic glass.

Oh my goodness I LOVE the large container for water idea! I remember many times during all my other proceedures being so thirsty. I sent my hubby home to tend to the kids and the nurses were so busy that I didn't want to bother them for just a glass of water. This is the perfect answer! Thanks! And tell your friend thanks! She really thought about one of those small things that make such a huge difference.

Just when I think I covered all those useful "add on's" to the hospital list, one of you wonderful friends lends another great suggestion. Now I'll add a large container for water (cup is already on the list), and some facial cleanser wipes. Which I usually have on hand, but I've managed to use all those recently. On the positive side, another trip to the store provides more "busy" time to keep my mind from wandering into the "what if this happens"
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Definitely some comfy pajamas and non-slip slippers, an eye mask (I was surprised how bright all the little lights were in my
room), earplugs, Chapstick and a tummy pillow. And the suggestion for an extension cord for your phone charger is brilliant!
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:33 PM

You may want to check with the nurses before drinking out of your own container. I know my Dr was monitoring my water intake against my urine output while in the hospital. (I had to pee in a "hat" measuring container). IDK maybe to make sure my bladder was working properly????
No one could drink out of my water container. Oh but I did make sure my nurses had a FULL container of ice water at all times, I was so thirsty :O)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register