I'm 6 days post-op- A perspective on pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm 6 days post-op- A perspective on pain I'm 6 days post-op- A perspective on pain

Unread 02-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm 6 days post-op- A perspective on pain

Pain is so relative to a persons previous life experiences, isn't it? I am now 6 days post op from an LAVH on Feb 12. I came home from the hospital 26 hours after the surgery. Swelling of my stomach has greatly subsided, which is wonderful.

When I first came to the forum before my surgery, I have to admit I was very frightened, and saddened/envious, because of the realization that so many women here have such great support and loving family that I do not have of my own. I was scared, pehaps for different reasons than many other visitors here.

I for one, have not had much help since coming home from the hospital and I have had to do for myself and child. I want others who may not have family or friends to help them during this time realize that they can get through this surgery and be just FINE! Yes, there will be some hours in the first few days that are not the best, but you CAN get through it alone, if you have no other alternative. Please don't feel afraid, because I spent alot of energy on it in vain

I've been alone with my 10 year old this week, and still had to get him off to school in the mornings. He stayed with his teacher the night I had surgery. I've taken care of everything from getting pain meds to making my own food/getting drinks, doing dishes, letting the dog out, and just yesterday, doing a couple small loads of laundry because it was necessary. The key for me was getting as "set-up" as possible before surgery, so that I came home to as relaxed an environment as possible, and that I would not need anything from the store for the following 7-10 days.

I feel really good today, even woke partially sleeping on my stomach. I'm thankful the hardest times are over now.
I've moved around ALOT since being home.
Every 20-30 minutes during the day, up and down, walking to a fro for some reason or another. I can't say it's been detrimental to recovery, or that it has hastened my recovery. It's just the way it's been for me. If you have any questions, drop me a note - I'd love to chat and help you if you need a "cheerleader" in your corner for support. Always remember - You will get through it and pain is only temporary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2007, 09:27 AM

You sound like such a strong women. I just wanted to let you know that if I lived near you I would have come to help. I am lucky to have my DH who has been great. My sons are 11 and 13 so I do think your 10 year old can do some stuff for you. So I just want to let you know that I am sure you have a ton of cheerleaders on this site cheering you on. I will be here if you ever need to talk.
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Yes, I have my son take care of our dog. Letting her in and out of our fenced backyard -- I never realized how irritating that is, until I was in pain, not wanting to move again!
The dog usually gets a biscuit when she comes back in the house, so she uses begging at the door to go out as a rule to get her treats. She's trained me well
Thank you for being here for me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2007, 11:29 AM

I understand you perfectly! My daughters are a bit older but still think of Mom waiting on them. I probably have been bending over way more than I should.

I don't have any family any more - and am divorced. It's amazing what we can do for ourselves when know we have to do it. I think it's a state of mind sometimes. And we women are STRONG... !

Pocono you're the greatest. Let me know how you are doing!
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:10 PM
always check your packing!

I wanted to add an addendum to this post about the unusual experience I had with this surgery -- Here is a recap:
Helllo and best wishes to those recovering!! I just posted " 6 days post op - A perspective on pain". I had an LAVH on monday the 12th.

I'm feeling really good today - I didn't say much about the things that I went through in the hospital stay, but here I will tell you one thing. Hopefully it will give you a giggle, but it is gross. ( fair warning!)
--- My doctors office called me Friday asking if the hospital nurse removed my gauze packing -- Well, no , they didn't. I had 4 1/2 feet of betadine soaked gauze packing in my vagina which I had to remove myself at home. Oh my goodness. Can you imagine? Really gross. 4 days left inside me. How would I have known that was left in me, had they not called to ask? Being swollen, feeling "stuffed" like a turkey cooked with the giblets left inside, sort of thing.
I had to laugh, because there was nothing else I could do. The nurse said I would feel like "a magician pulling scarves out of a hat", she was not joking.
Keep smiling, it helps everything!!! AND remember to check your packing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi505
Pain is so relative to a persons previous life experiences, isn't it? I am now 6 days post op from an LAVH on Feb 12. I came home from the hospital 26 hours after the surgery. Swelling of my stomach has greatly subsided, which is wonderful.

When I first came to the forum before my surgery, I have to admit I was very frightened, and saddened/envious, because of the realization that so many women here have such great support and loving family that I do not have of my own. I was scared, pehaps for different reasons than many other visitors here.

I for one, have not had much help since coming home from the hospital and I have had to do for myself and child. I want others who may not have family or friends to help them during this time realize that they can get through this surgery and be just FINE! Yes, there will be some hours in the first few days that are not the best, but you CAN get through it alone, if you have no other alternative. Please don't feel afraid, because I spent alot of energy on it in vain

I've been alone with my 10 year old this week, and still had to get him off to school in the mornings. He stayed with his teacher the night I had surgery. I've taken care of everything from getting pain meds to making my own food/getting drinks, doing dishes, letting the dog out, and just yesterday, doing a couple small loads of laundry because it was necessary. The key for me was getting as "set-up" as possible before surgery, so that I came home to as relaxed an environment as possible, and that I would not need anything from the store for the following 7-10 days.

I feel really good today, even woke partially sleeping on my stomach. I'm thankful the hardest times are over now.
I've moved around ALOT since being home.
Every 20-30 minutes during the day, up and down, walking to a fro for some reason or another. I can't say it's been detrimental to recovery, or that it has hastened my recovery. It's just the way it's been for me. If you have any questions, drop me a note - I'd love to chat and help you if you need a "cheerleader" in your corner for support. Always remember - You will get through it and pain is only temporary!
Unread 02-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow!

I can't believe you had to pull out the packing at home!!! Good job!! I watched my Dr. pull mine out and I wondered how many feet of that gauze did they have in there!! Now I know!! Thanks for sharing something funny...we can all use some smiles as we recover from these new experiences!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register