feeling useless - need an emotional boost | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling useless - need an emotional boost feeling useless - need an emotional boost

Unread 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
feeling useless - need an emotional boost

Hi ladies - hope you all are doing well.

me - I am getting another ride on the emotional rollercoaster and feeling pretty useless right now.

Now, I am one of those that has ALWAYS been a tomboy - I like working on cars, motorcycles, whatever I can tinker with - and I was always the one to jump in and start turning the wrenches when it was needed - I learned long ago 'cause i didnt have anyone to do it for me (ex-hubby was useless when it came to cars! LOL)

Well, DBF hit a deer on his way home from work last night - He is fine, car was ok enough to get home. Looking at it this morning there is a little more damage than he originally thought, but nothing that cant be handled at home.

Needless to say i WANT to help get it fixed, but my body is telling me I cant, so I am really feeling down and useless and frustrated which leads to the crying jags - and those have been on & off since yesterday evening!

so frustrated that I cant do the things i would normally do!

maybe i just need some chocolate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Re: feeling useless - need an emotional boost

I've been feeling the same way. It's so hard. My husband took on cleaning out our garage, which was a huge job. I felt so stupid walking around looking at him, occasionally picking up some garbage. Ugh. Even doing that, seemed to set me back and I knew I shouldn't have done it. I just know I did more than this even after having babies. It's so frustrating that I can't do it now, for some reason. So, like you, I came inside, had a brownie and fell asleep on the couch! lol Just wanted to let you know that you certainly aren't alone in your feelings. I am never one to sit idly by - ever. This is really, really hard on me.
Unread 04-03-2010, 04:47 PM

I kinda know what you're feeling. Not as much of a tomboy, I know one tool from the next, but not very good at actually using them... (the wood shop teacher took away the router from me on my final project b/c I was scaring him, lol)

My swelly belly is keeping me out of my jeans, so hubby won't take me out on the motorcycle! *pout* We live right off the Old National Road, so many bikers out, I wanna go too!

Only advice I can offer is to try to rest up as much as possible, so we'll both heal all the faster! Then once we get back in the game, we'll be in it for good! *hugs*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM

thanks for the words of encouragemnet ladies! it is just what I am needing right now - i know in my head I have a lot of "sisters" out there that are feeling just like me - but tell that to the emotional part, right!!

doesnt really help that I have been spotting a little too - nothing bright red - more a dull orangy color and not a lot, but enough to put a pad on...yuck. but I guess I am right at the point where the stitches can start to dissolve... 2 and a half weeks out from a DaVinci.

just was feeling so good and now I feel crappy & achy and the emotions are all over the place - must have really overdone the house cleaning after being told i could "resume normal activities" at my 2 wk chkup

to cheer myself up I am making one of my favorite comfort foods for dinner - tuna casserole!! dont care if DBF doesnt like it - I DO!

I am trying to rest, but it is sooo hard when i feel like I should be out in the garage helping...
Unread 04-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Hi there! I have to say I truly admire you for wanting to get out there and do things, especially physically challenging things. I was so scared to do anything at first.

I think it's a great sign that you are healing well if you have the desire to work on the car. That is so awesome!

Just hang in there a little while longer. Maybe you can offer your input and even "supervise" the repairs and that will allow you to feel like a part of it. Just remember, you will be whole before you know it and back out there doing the things you love!

Best wishes and I'm glad your DBF is OK.
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:09 PM

peppermintpeggy - thank you! you just made me chuckle! yeah, me supervise?!?!
no, a more likely scenario is me saying "give me that wrench, you arent doing it right!"

I did try to go out and "help" by handing tools and offering my thoughts, etc, but after about 20-30 mins had to come in - kind of an achy, nagging pain in lower back and lower ab, near my right hip bone - just like i used to get just before aunt flo would visit (that would have been around a week ago)
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM

hrtlss1, suck it up....stop and think about it, when is the last time you have been pampered? You just had major surgery, DBF can handle it, sit back and relax, before you know it you'll be back to doing all most everything again.
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:28 PM

I know it's hard! It's been a big adjustment for me too. I was supposed to move at the end of March, then I had to change it to end of April, then end of May... and settle to the fact that I'll have to hire movers as it is. The hard part will be moving in, which should be helped by the fact that I'll be almost 12 weeks at that point. I'm so used to doing all that myself. But between the breakup, being laid off my job, and the surgery, I've had to just accept that I need lots of help. You can do this!
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Ahhh come on, ladies!
We're just talking about taking it easy for a few weeks, not years!
You'll be back to being your Wonder Woman selves shortly.

Is it really so terrible to let other people "do for you" for a little while?
Is what you want to do right now really worth risking hurting yourself and having to take it easy longer?
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xythen View Post
Ahhh come on, ladies!
We're just talking about taking it easy for a few weeks, not years!
You'll be back to being your Wonder Woman selves shortly.

Is it really so terrible to let other people "do for you" for a little while?
Is what you want to do right now really worth risking hurting yourself and having to take it easy longer?
yeah, tell that to the doctor & phys. assist. that seemed to think i should be well enough to go back to work at 2 weeks, too - I drive a truck for a living - trucks are NOT easy on the body - especially when you are going "off-road" into the farm fields....wrestling with tarps, etc...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register