Private Room or Roomate??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Private Room or Roomate??? Private Room or Roomate???

Unread 05-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Private Room or Roomate???

Has anyone ever asked for a private room during your hospital stay? Do they charge extra for one? If you did get a private room, was it worth it?

If you had to share a room with someone, did you have a good or bad roomie?

I'm kind of nervous about it, what if the roomie snores alot? tee hee

~hugs~

julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2003, 02:05 PM

Hi Julie,

I chose to have a roommate. First of all, the private room cost extra and second, I like to have people to talk to even if I'm really out it.

I don't remember too much about the first two day, but my dh and my mom said my roommate and I talked constantly Anyhoo, I had a good experience that I thought I'd share.

One way to see if your room will cost more is to call your insurance company.

Sending you a big

Patty
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:05 PM

The floor I was on only had private rooms. I admit, that was very nice.

Don't think that a private room will give you tons of privacy, though. On one of my first solo trips to the bathroom my room door was closed so I didn't bother to close the bathroom door. While I was in there, in walked the housekeeper and the woman she was training.

I could also hear the TV and monitoring equipment in the rooms around me because the staff hardly ever closed my door. And when my door was closed just a few hours later someone would walk in and leave it open when they left.

If I was due to have a semi-private room, I would have paid a reasonable price extra for a private one. Thankfully, the hospital stay is only for a few days. Being home is TONS better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2003, 02:07 PM

I requested a private room. I didn't ask if the insurance would cover it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow night whether I got the private or semi-private.

When I was in the hospital before, The only room they had left were semi-private. My roomy coughed all the time, moaned , groaned. It was terrible.

Hopefully if this happens again, atleast it might be someone that is going through the same thing I am. Atleast we could talk if we got bored.

Denise
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:14 PM

My hospital only has private rooms on the gyn ward. My insurance only covers the cost of semi private, and I have to pay the rest. In my opinion its well worth it.

I am a private person anyway and when I feel bad, the last thing I want is to hear 15 people laughing and talking loudly while Im trying to throw up or wobble myself into the bathroom (parading past them). I also dont like strangers all around me, walking past my bed and looking in at me. I dont like being disturbed when I need to sleep or when I feel bad. You got it.. Im a grump!

My friend had a semi private and her roomate had constant , loud guests. She was having an exam and the cath removed and was 'bare' when one of the roomates guests pulled the curtain back and just looked right in. It was an accident of course, he was looking for the roommate. Regardless, it was embarrassing for her.

I'd pay for a private room in full if need be to avoid anything like that happening.
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:15 PM

I had a private room with ensuite bathroom. I hadn't requested it, my doctor had requested it as I have other medical conditions. I have to tell you it was nice being in a private room. And yes, it is not too private, nurses, cleaners, etc in and out regularly, hey but at least no one had to put up with my snoring and vice versa .
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:26 PM

I had a private room (it was $35 more a night) and it was worth it. I spent my first night in semi-private. She had visitors the whole time and they were having a terrific time!! When she found out I'd had a hyster, she started asking tons of questions!! I could barely remember my own name--lol!! Anyway, I was moved to a private room (with an in-suite bathroom) and it was perfect and since I was by myself, they let my DH stay overnight which was huge help.

Call the hospital admittance office to discuss any additional cost. They said they get this call all the time.

Good Luck hon!!
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:40 PM

I paid extra for the private room. ($60 a night) I do not like to have to listen to alot of noise when I don't feel well. It was also helpful to have my husband helping me instead calling a nurse each time I needed to get up etc. I considered it my extra pampering that I felt like I deserved.

If you can afford the private room, go for it!

pianolover
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:45 PM
private room

hi i had a private room it did cost extra , I was extremely glad it was private in my case I was in the cancer area that is where they put all gyno cancer and non cancer like me so it was nice for me to be alone.
plus I was sick I had to have a tranfusion and getting sleep was nessisary for me I cant sleep well when other strangers are in the room .

I am kind of annol about the toilet sharing it .

Just my preferance though .
my mom stayed with me anyways so that was alright .

I hope it helped you .

you have to do what you want, what you are comfrotable with and if you want to pay for it mine was like 20 or 30 dollars a night but every hospital is different.

for me that was all I had to pay though my surgery was covered in full.
best wishes

Tah 29 years old . left my ovaries , blood transfusion due to heavy loss of blood during and before surgery.
Unread 05-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Private Room

The hospital I was in provided private rooms at no extra charge. They weren't large, but they were very nice and beautifully decorated.

I much prefer a private room to sharing. First, I don't need someone else's visitors trapsing through the room and making noise when I'm trying to sleep, go to the bathroom, , or whatever. Second, I don't like sharing a bathroom with anyone else. Third, when I'm sick or hurting, I don't like a lot of people around.

So, if you can possibly manage it, I would highly recommend a private room.

s,

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register