showers after? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

showers after? showers after?

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM
showers after?

I have read posts about not being able to bend over or anything. So, how about showers? Do you need help in the shower? Can you wash your own legs or need help washing legs and feet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Re: showers after?

I guess it depends on what type of surgery you are having and each doc is different. I had a LAVH and they had me take a shower the next morning in the hospital. As far as help...I had my husband come in the bathroom w/ me at home the first few days because the pain meds can make you dizzy and the anethsia seemed to stay in me a while. Definately shave your legs, it was about a week for me and it felt SOOOO good. I also recommend you get a pedicure prior, the toes were unreachable for a while. Best wishes!
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM

TAH here, bikini incision ....13 days post op

They had me take a shower the day after my surgery. I had my hubby stay in the bathroom with me, but i was able to do what I needed to do. I dont generally scrub my legs and feet, just let the soapy water wash over everything. Be sure to pat your incision/s dry, dont rub them. I did not attempt to hair dry my hair, just towel dried and let it go...i was so warm anyway, that the wet hair felt good.....I was exhausted when I was done though...

At home, the first week, I just made sure i had someone in the house while I showered, within shouting distance, just in case...but really I could manage. I shaved my legs right before I went in, and wont do them again for at least another week probably.....

The first time feels like a big deal, but it comes easy after that. And, if you need help, don't be afraid to ask for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM

As I recall, I showered 2 days after my surgery (LAVH) and everything was fine--I also just let the soap wash down and used my feet to wash my ankles and lower legs Bending over is difficult--I found wiping to be the most uncomfortable thing, honestly, and was very happy to stay on stool softener for a few days after surgery...
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM

I had a TAH and I had a shower the night after I came home. I had my husband there just in case. I could not lean over to wash my legs or my feet (I couldn't dry them either!).

Be sure to check with your doctor before shaving your legs, most doctors don't want you to shave right before surgery (I used an electric razor though, they said that was okay).

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM

ha! forgot about drying legs! I had to have hubby do that for me the first few days........
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM

My Mom just 6 weeks postop from same surgery I am going to have in August. She needed help showering as she had trouble drying her legs and feet but soon discovered the little portable heater in her bathroom worked great if Dad or I were not here to help her. Mainly for the first 2 weeks either Dad or I were in the house with her so if she needed help she could just holler and we'd come running. I hadn't thought of the leg shaving til now but will most definitely do that the morning of my surgery (and my pits). As if this surgery isn't embarrassing, gotta have clean shaved legs and pits.
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM

I just remembered...I used a cool hairdryer to dry my belly button incision because I could not rub it dry.
Unread 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM

TAH on July 2. I showered the next day in the hospital to get the bandage off my incision. At home, I shower only when DH is home because I'm so swollen and sore, I can't see my incision and I don't want the wash cloth to get hung. I ask DH to wash the incision and my lower parts because I want to be clean and he's really careful. We're pretty open about all sorts of stuff, so asking him to wash my woman bits and behind isn't too much to ask of him. He helps me get out of the shower and checks the incision to make sure it's looking good. Don't be ashamed of anything. If you need help, ask! When I had my ovary removed 3 years ago, I couldn't wipe after a BM. Had to ask DH... He laughed at me, but it was okay.
Unread 07-06-2010, 04:10 PM

moundella, it is nice to hear about relationships like yours...me and dh are very similar....he will do anything for me, and I for him....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register